Naive - Difference between DIR & hogarthian?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wijbrandus:
Laurel,

From what little I know, the plate should be tight enough to your shoulders not to move at all when you are in the water. This makes it a bit tough to get on and off, but is easily done with a partner to hold your tank for you. If you are particularly muscular, you can always do the over the head thing and mount it up solo, but that's not a wise idea on a boat.

I don't like the idea of solo mounting at all! I might bump my head ...*batting eyelashes*

Seriously, I do have a couple of awesome dive buddies. I am sure one of them will help me out. I do need to adjust the straps a bit. I don't like the way the BP sits on my hips at all. I am not really short waisted, I just didn't take the time to do it before the dive yesterday. I am diving it tomorrow at anacapa isl., so I should have it dialed in by the last dive :)

cool_hardware52:
It's great to drop some weight. Likely your previous BC was positive, even with no air in the bladder, so it's not uncommon the be able to remove more than you first thought.

It may take a few dives to get the harness adjustment optomised, but it is worth the effort.

I would recommend a couple dives before you decide if you really need a pad.

No, I definately want a pad...I do occasionally dive in warm water (although not enough!) and while it feels fine against 10 mm of neoprene, it won't against a 1mm suit. N'est pas?

Yes, I think my old BC was positive. I was sort of ecpecting to take off about 4 lbs, but 8 was a dream. I can't wait to try it properly weighted!

L

scubalaurel:
I don't like the idea of solo mounting at all! I might bump my head ...*batting eyelashes*

Seriously, I do have a couple of awesome dive buddies.
Ahem.... :10:

scubalaurel:
I am sure one of them will help me out. I do need to adjust the straps a bit. I don't like the way the BP sits on my hips at all. I am not really short waisted, I just didn't take the time to do it before the dive yesterday. I am diving it tomorrow at anacapa isl., so I should have it dialed in by the last dive :)
I'll print this out for you tonight and bring it on the trip. The NoCal Beatnik makes fitting a snap.

scubelaurel:
No, I definately want a pad...I do occasionally dive in warm water (although not enough!) and while it feels fine against 10 mm of neoprene, it won't against a 1mm suit. N'est pas?

Yes, I think my old BC was positive. I was sort of ecpecting to take off about 4 lbs, but 8 was a dream. I can't wait to try it properly weighted!

L
Did many dives in FL with my 3mm... no pad. 1mm may be an issue. Lets get it sized up properly and you can make the call. It'll also fit much better (read: not kill the hips) with less weight.

---
Ken

Mo2vation:
Ahem.... :10:
Lets get it sized up properly and you can make the call. It'll also fit much better (read: not kill the hips) with less weight.
---
Ken

Well, the saga continues... We got to the boat spent an hour fitting and adjusting. Went to sleep with dreams of diving, then woke to big, ugly, menacing swells compounded by wind chop. To cut the sad, sad, sad, sad story short - no diving at Anacapa. :bawling:

So, tonight, I'll try again, at the beach....

More to follow!

scubalaurel:
Well, the saga continues... We got to the boat spent an hour fitting and adjusting. Went to sleep with dreams of diving, then woke to big, ugly, menacing swells compounded by wind chop. To cut the sad, sad, sad, sad story short - no diving at Anacapa. :bawling:

So, tonight, I'll try again, at the beach....

More to follow!

Ok, two words - totally awesome! I loved it mucho! The side harness digs into my arm a little, but that will stop, right? Apparently the adjustments were perfect, Thanks KEN!!!

So is the weighting...only 10 # whoohoo!

Thanks tobin for an awesome BP/W!

scubalaurel:
Ok, two words - totally awesome! I loved it mucho! The side harness digs into my arm a little, but that will stop, right? Apparently the adjustments were perfect, Thanks KEN!!!

So is the weighting...only 10 # whoohoo!

Thanks tobin for an awesome BP/W!

Good News,

Give it a few more dives, and you likely will find you are not even aware of the harness. Anything new that puts pressure on a fresh part of the body will be noticed.

If things do not improve, let me know, we aren't at the bottom of our bag 'o' tricks yet.

Tobin

as a person who had previously only dived in a silohute jacket bc and now uses a pioneer i have to say that the pioneer is the most comfortable thing i have ever worn underwater. It is very secure which is nice. also the long hose is nice. It allows air to be shared without geting within about an inch of the person.

scubalaurel:
Boys, big is good. Gentlemen are better!

Everyone calls me the blond, but I need you both to focus...My question is about gear. You both seem to be argueing the same point, that DIR is good. How about some argueing about my gear proposal?

A backplate and wing is a good decision, period. As far as your choice at www.deepseasupply.com, it looks like a nice plate. If you're planning on going DIR later, go with the Hogarthian single piece webbing setup they offer. You can adjust D-ring placement later for your GUE courses.

DIR is more than just equipment, so don't base your equipment decision simply on "Is it DIR or not?" Learn either system (DIR or Hogarthian), and then choose for yourself using your newly educated self and what you feel is right.

Kriterian:
A backplate and wing is a good decision, period. As far as your choice at www.deepseasupply.com, it looks like a nice plate. If you're planning on going DIR later, go with the Hogarthian single piece webbing setup they offer. You can adjust D-ring placement later for your GUE courses.

DIR is more than just equipment, so don't base your equipment decision simply on "Is it DIR or not?" Learn either system (DIR or Hogarthian), and then choose for yourself using your newly educated self and what you feel is right.

I have gotten the BP/w from deepseasupply. I have 5 beach dives on it and about a dozen boat dives already. LOVE IT!!!! :07:

I do have the single strap harness. Difficult to get in and out, but starting to get the hang of it. I have even figured out how to attach a lift bag between my back and plate, so that I can reach it! This soooooo rocks! :D

L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom