Name 1 Scuba-related Thing You've Done Which No One Else Has

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This probably does not fully fit the criteria outlined by the Op because others have no doubt done the same thing in other parts of the world, but I was the first person to explore the underwater section of a cave we found on private property in southern Missouri in 1966. Kept hoping to find something exotic, but had to settle for some very pretty cave formations. As a college student and avid spelunker at the time, It was very adventurous knowing we were the first humans in that underwater cave system. Although we were experienced in caving and took every possible precaution, considering the dive gear we had available at the time, and the number of dives we made into that cave, I look back now and understand how lucky we were that one or more of us did not die.

Swimming along roads, up and down driveways in a flooded town in 200’ + water looking for an abandoned truck that 2 divers claim to have seen several years ago. I think they were heavily narced as no truck was ever found in the area they were supposedly in. We found a hood to what looked like a 50’s model Chevrolet truck so it’s possible that’s what they saw.

Our sail boat was anchored at a lovely little island off Costa Rica and we decided to clean the bottom by diving on it. Later that night in bed I was awakened by a very loud noise in my right ear. We washed a small crab out of my ear that had swum into my ear earlier in the day and woke me by walking on my eardrum.

Our sail boat was anchored at a lovely little island off Costa Rica and we decided to clean the bottom by diving on it. Later that night in bed I was awakened by a very loud noise in my right ear. We washed a small crab out of my ear that had swum into my ear earlier in the day and woke me by walking on my eardrum.
eeewww!

Another one...I'm the reigning Underwater Karate Master (à la old school 80s karate movie style) having successfully challenged & won a slew of bouts.

My inspiration:

This probably does not fully fit the criteria outlined by the Op because others have no doubt done the same thing in other parts of the world, but I was the first person to explore the underwater section of a cave we found on private property in southern Missouri in 1966. ...

I'm the OP & I say that totally counts because while you may not be the 1st person to explore an underwater section of a cave, you were the 1st person to explore that cave...& that cave in 1966. :)

I dived PNG years ago and one dive began in a rock pool that goes down to an opening in the wall. The wall dive was uneventful and I went solo at the end of the dive as my buddy and DMs exited the water. When I eventually surfaced slowly in the rock pool watching the coral fish in front of me, I had the greatest shock when spears suddenly penetrated the water 1 to 2 feet in front of me. The locals were fishing for lunch.

I've done 2 equipment things I haven't heard of any others doing.
--hose down the farmer john wetsuit leg to allow pee to flow through more quickly (NOT attached, but that's another story).
--bungee cord around my head (not neck), attached to primary mouthpiece. To hold it in mouth should I ever go unconscious. Ie. poor man's full face mask.

I have dived on all seven continents.

In order: Africa 1976, Antarctica 1978, Australia 1981, Europe 1984, Asia 1989, South America 1990 then lastly North America 1991.

I would like to dive Iceland and Greenland but I doubt that I'll ever do the latter.

When my son was doing his 2nd open water dive for his open water certificate I tagged along but went my own way to collect some scallops. The limit in New Zealand is 20 scallops per diver. I came ashore with 18. When my son returned to the beach with his instructor he shyly pulled two scallops out of his BCD pocket. The instructor never saw him gather them.
Twice I was "bringing up the rear" on OW checkout dives and reached down to grab a Moon Snail. Made sure no one noticed--don't need a lecture from a student.

Back
Top Bottom