Name that wreck!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Natasha,there are more wrecks in Fla than anywhere else in the world.I have LORAN or GPS#s to more than a thousand.The individual counties here have artificial reef placement clubs or organizations.The state keeps a list of all permitted sites. I found 355 known wrecks in 1 publication.In one site alone off Jax there are 30 barges,tugs and freighters.The Broward,Dade and Palm beach area is loaded with them also.Surprisingly,the Keys are actually one of the least populated areas for wrecks.

sorry Duca,
the cabin cruiser at the bottom of the quarry DOES NOT count (I already tried that for my wreck diver certification). when you go to Morehead City, NC hook up with Olympus Dive Center. they're GREAT! George Purifoy & his crew are the best. if they give you a rough water recovery briefing...PAY ATTENTION! during one of our dives, the waves built to 6'-8' w/ 10'-12' swells. they got all of us back on board with no problems.
Roooter

Tony,
I didn't know that about Florida. And they have the most caves for diving too, right? Florida is really a divers Mecca, it seems.
How about that list of Walter's? He's such a show off :wink:

Natasha,

When you're as old as me, your list will be as long. Stay alive, keep diving and these things happen. BTW, there's another, much longer list in this thread.

DSSW,

WWW™

Originally posted by 100days-a-year
Natasha,there are more wrecks in Fla than anywhere else in the world.I have LORAN or GPS#s to more than a thousand.The individual counties here have artificial reef placement clubs or organizations.The state keeps a list of all permitted sites. I found 355 known wrecks in 1 publication.In one site alone off Jax there are 30 barges,tugs and freighters.The Broward,Dade and Palm beach area is loaded with them also.Surprisingly,the Keys are actually one of the least populated areas for wrecks.

Gotta stand up for the home turf 100days my friend. :wave:

Great Lakes have in excess of 5000 wrecks and missing ships. There are more ships reported missing in Lake Superior than in the Bermuda Triangle.

About 1000 have been researched and named.

The other nice thing about the wrecks up here is that the water is fresh and cold - good for preservation. I know of a wreck that is 135 years old, in 30 ft of water and is not a "pile of 2X4's". (It would be the Marquette in Southern Georgian Bay)

I have a map (not a chart) with over 200 wrecks marked between Prescott and Picton, which is about 150 Km along the Eastern shore of Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence. I think that they are all "Rec" Wrecks (above 130ffw)

Oh and the beer is really good too! Pop up and we'll show you a good time in and out of the water. No yellow, red, or blue fish tho'

OntarioDiver,I may have spoken in haste.However the 1000 I alluded to are wrecks I personally have the depth ,composition,name if any or known and thier exact co-ordinates.I believe Dade county alone has between 500 and 1000 wreck sites.Broward,Duval and Palm Beach county add probly another 1000 at least.Taking in to account that most old shipwrecks are either destroyed by time or weather here,we may very well have as many.There are fewer natural wrecks here tho,I'd imagine.A great deal of ours are artificial.I'd have to dive in some far chillier water than I like to visit to see ya'll. Natasha.I don't think I could dive everything here in 5 lifetimes.The caves,caverns and springs # in the hundreds.Over a thousand miles of shoreline,reefs,ledges and live bottom.We actually complain if we see another dive flag(jokingly)The onloy problem with living here is one half thinks the other can't count and the other half thinks that half can't read.:wink:

I guess the only way to settle this is to switch dives...

You come up here for a week and dive here, then I go down and dive with you for a week :D

We'll both be happy!

(Might have to do it a few times tho')

OntarioDiver,I'll be there in 2005 for sure.If sooner I'll ring you.The guy I did tri-mix classwith lives in Chicago.He's been at me about the GreatLakes diving.I was there for 2 years in the Navy.What's a typical watertemp in June or July?We range from mid40s in Feb to almost 90 in August.

Here are most of my List, I'm shure I'm leaving out some.

OrangeBeach/GulfShores Alabama:
Diver thes Wrecks very many times
1)Triple Tug
2)Navy Tug
3)3 Mile Barge
4)Wiskey Wreck
5)14 Mile Barge
6)The Allen
7)The Wallace
8)The Dredge
9)105ft. Tug
10)Lipscomb Tug
11)The Dry Dock
12)The Traler
13)Knots Barge
14)Russian Freighter
15)Oops Barge
16)Tex Edwards

FT. Lauderdale FL.
1)The Rebel
2)Tenneco Towers
3)J. Scutti
4)Atria

FL. Keys
1)City of Washington
2)Bentwood
3)The Eagle

Oahu, Hawaii
The Mahi

Cozumel
The C-53

Hope to add a lot more this year.

:sunny: :tree: :tree:

Originally posted by 100days-a-year
OntarioDiver,I'll be there in 2005 for sure.If sooner I'll ring you.The guy I did tri-mix classwith lives in Chicago.He's been at me about the GreatLakes diving.I was there for 2 years in the Navy.What's a typical watertemp in June or July?We range from mid40s in Feb to almost 90 in August.

What temp? Depends on depth and current. Amazing that :D

We are defininatly into 7mm or dry suit diving. There can be up to three thermoclines in 90 ft. I've seen in highter than 65 at the surface and then High 40's at the bottom.

Air temp can be real warm at the same time. 80s and 90s not unknown.

Back
Top Bottom