Name that wreck!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Tony,

Up here in Superior, bottom temps at 100' or so stay around 40F (sometimes as low as 37F) throughout the summer. It can be 85F outside and very cold at the bottom with at least two thermoclines. The warm thermocline feels real nice after a long dive in 40F water. In the Straits of Mackinaw (where L. Huron meets L. Michigan) the bottom temps in the summer is about 50F. Visibility at both places can easily exceed 50' with 80' vis not being uncommon anymore.

Great wrecks though. :thumb:

Mike

:confused:

You will see that I need to improve my record keeping and spelling.

Florida:
-Same as the guy who posted on Destin and Panama City

Hawaii:
-Mine Sweaper
-Corsair

Australia:
-Wish I wrote down the name -damn

Grenada, Carcau, Barbados, Virgin Is.:
-Same as Australia

Croatia:

-J. Dezza WWI Warship
-Draga Dredge
-Josefina Cargo Ship
-Baron Gautsch Cruise Ship
-John Gilbert Cargo Ship
-Verese Cargo Ship
-Rossarol italian Warship -2nd time anyone had dove it (at least that is what I was told)

New England:
-Port Hunter
-Nina T
-Chester Poling

I need to dive more I am begining to dry out this winter.

JSC

Ontario Diver&Yooper,Thanx guys.I'd assume that's why everyone dives dry up there.Thats really no surprise tho.I remember laying out on Lake Michigan,the breeze of the lake was chilly even in August.I'd like to see some of the older wrecks.Ours are either under mud if in freshwater or covered if in saltwater.We have parasites on our parasites down here.

Wrecks are fun. I live to dive the wrecks

Morehead City, NC

Pappose, Aeolis, German Sub amd several more

N.J.

Stolt Dagali, Mako Mania

Florida
Ft Lauderdale

Several sites all excellent

WPB

Several sites

Largo

Duane, Bibb and Eagle

Marathon

Thunderbolt and the Busch

Key West

Salvager
Joe's Tug

Pensacola

Serval sites (this is a faboulas place to dive)

Dutch Springs, PA

Comet (about a thousand times)

Gulfdiver,
Do you have a dive report from the C-53? I'm planning on diving it in 5 weeks.
Thanks.
:gorgeous:

Natasha
No report but ti was a great dive , when I dived it it was new so not much groth. I will try to find pictures to post.:tree: :mean:

Being in the midst of the Great Lakes, home to what may be the greatest proliferation of wrecks in the world, I have done only a little of what is actually out there. Just some off the top of my head......

Brown Brothers - tug - Lake Erie
Wilma - schooner - Lake Erie
Arabia - schooner - Lake Huron - 3 dives (challenging)
James C. King - schooner - Lake Huron
Scoville - schooner - Lake Huron
C.B. Benson - schooner - Lake Erie
Forest City - freighter - Lake Erie
Niagara 2 - lake Huron - steel hulled sand sucker - Lake Huron
Carlingford - schooner - Lake Erie
Keystorm - freighter - Lake Ontario
Robert Gaskin - schooner? - Lake Ontario
Muscallonge - Lake Ontario
St. James (AKA SchoonerX) - Lake Erie
Acme - Hogged arch steamer - Lake Erie
Stone Wreck - schooner barge - Lake Erie
Empess of Ireland - Transatlantic liner - St Lawrence Seaway (6 dives)
Northwind - freighter - North Channel, Lake Huron (7 dives)
Munson - dredge - Lake Ontario
Mapleglen - freighter - Lake Ontario
Davy - Lake Ontario
Wolfe Islander 2 - ferry - Lake Ontario

By far the better are the Northwind and of course the Empress of Ireland. The Empress is just impressive and one of the most challenging dives in Canada, if not North America, with only the Andrea Doria being more challenging, that I can think of.........

Hey voodoogasdiver!!

I've also done most of those wrecks. In my opinion we have some of the best wreck diving in the world looking forward to the empress myself:wink:

NINJA:mean:

My favourite type of Diving (even more than Cave, but not very much). I love wreck diving!

I've dove many of the same wrecks as Voodoogas Diver and Ninja, and must say that I've been all over the world and the Great Lakes are my favourite place in the world to dive.

I would have to say that Yes the Northwind is one of the nicest dive trips one can do! It has a wonderful amount of penetration and I've pentrated every orrifice on the wreck!

The Empress I would rate as a tougher dive than the Doria because of the currents, the extreme cold and very low visibility. The Doria is more challenging only because it has another 100ft of depth. So you're wearing 1 more tank for deco, and has a lot of fishing nets on it.

Can't wait to do the Empress again this summer! Maybe the Doria next year.

One wreck that I find is incredible is the Roy A. Jodery. Its a 600+ foot long Great Lakes Ore Freighter sitting completely in tact in 240ft of fresh water. The bow starts @ approximately 165ft. where you hit the radar tower. The pilots house is around 180ft. Most of the deck on the bow is 185-190. Going off the bow and dropping straight down you can hit 220. Going towards the stern it gets deeper. You can hit 230-240 then it gets shallower for a bit around the stern which is harder to get to because of the distance (A scooter will be handy if you got one). The stern is around 190-200.

The wreck offers some of the most challenging overhead environment wreck penetrations of any wreck I've done. You wouldn't want to do this one on air. Its dark a canister light is mandatory. I would recommend using a reel if you're doing penetration (I know, reels are gay). Its got some good passages to venture through. Although its pristine inside with little silt its still a good idea.

SO if you haven't got Trimix yet maybe you should do it and c'mon out and do this dive.

The best part too is the temperatures. In the summer months there is no thermalcline. It could be in the 70's at depth!

Thats one of my alltime favourites and anyone who wants to do a good dive thats it! If it had the history on it that the Empress had it would be my very favourite.

Anyone else dove it??
:)

:D Matthew..........

I hope your staying out of trouble tonight.........

I agree, Jodrey, sounds like fun, maybe when I finish my tri-mix course we could meet there........for some reel penetration. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom