Narced!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kwesler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been mildly narced on deep dives, and it was always consistent with the description-a littl efuzzy, feel good etc. Last weekend, on the Eagle in the Keys, had an INTENSE feeling of fear at 110'. I was able to "obsserve" the feeling and know that it was narcosis, but it was CREEPY! Anyone else have the same expereince? We ascended to 90' and it went away, and the rest of the dive was fine.

I have a guess that what happens when you get nareced is also that the fealings you have before the dive is enhanced, IE if you feel good then you feel very good, if you feel abit afraid then you will feel afraid and so on.

I have no proof of this, it is just a theory that i have formed over the time.

And to answer your question yes i have fealt the same, but normally if i feel a bit at unease before the dive it stops when i get down under water. and it just starts to get "fun" :wink:

but i do have a question for the ppl out here

can you get hooked on beeing narked ?

dive safe

Originally posted by kwesler
I have been mildly narced on deep dives, and it was always consistent with the description-a littl efuzzy, feel good etc. Last weekend, on the Eagle in the Keys, had an INTENSE feeling of fear at 110'. I was able to "obsserve" the feeling and know that it was narcosis, but it was CREEPY! Anyone else have the same expereince? We ascended to 90' and it went away, and the rest of the dive was fine.

My only bad narced experience was on the Duane. I felt fine the whole dive, no anxiety at all. When I started my ascent and checked my compuer, I got very confused with what my computer was telling me. I thought it was telling me to go back to 80ft for 10 min deco stop. Part of my brain was telling me that couldn't be right but the other part was saying yes it was! My buddy could see my confusion and kept motioning me to ascend with him. I knew something wasn't right and decided to trust my buddy. After descending another 10-15 ft I felt fine and the confusion was gone. I haven't had that feeling since.

Max depth was 102ft.

I've been narced twice. Once, at 80' on Columbia Pinnacles, I felt paranoid, as in "What the hell am I doing here?". Not afraid, just very edgy in an amphetamine type way.

Then, there was the devil's throat dive. I was with two guys who had shaved heads and who I didn't really know, along with the DM and another diver. We got a little separated in the tunnel, and they disappeared due to their having zero frog kicking skills and managing to silt up the whole place. I couldn't find them for a second, and started backing out. The other diver behind me kind of pushed me ahead and indicated a left turn. Then I saw two members of the Hitler Youth crossing in front of me, in Scuba Gear. I wasn't frightened or confused about my dive, I just thought "What the hell is the Hitler Youth doing at Devil's throat, I didn't see another boat". It was weird as hell. No feeling of drunkenness, just a delusional belief that I had somehow gotten mixed up with the Hitler youth on a dive in Mexico.

When I posted this before on another board, people thought I was kidding. I wasn't. I guess I should point out that I am not Usually Psychotic, take no medication, and have no other delusions that I know of. If you search all the standard books about Narcosis, they sometimes mention delusions. So, that's my story on being Narced.

I'm one of those divers that doesn't get euphoric when narced - just the opposite. I turn into a tense, compulsive gauge checker and it's no fun. Fortunately, I don't have a history of being especially vulnerable to narcosis and I've learned that when I start getting nervous, the first thing I need to do is take about 20 feet off of the depth and see how I feel. Usually works just fine and since heading up is the first step towards aborting a dive, it's a solution that fits just fine with my narced brain.

:yellow: I have had both kinds of narc hits. the good feeling, and the doom and gloom, I find tho withthe doom and gloom, that some times I also get the feeling that I don't want to be here any more. At that point i call my dive.
:yellow:

If you ever try trimix you won't believe the difference. I am now a He junky!

For my AOW we where on a wreck at 90 doing some skills. For some reason I had a hard time breathing and my only instinct was to take my reg out of my mouth. The other half of my brain told me that that was a bad idea and to start focusing on my breathing. Once I started to concentrate on my breathing the feeling of anxiety went away.

There was one time a couple of years ago when I was descending and had this warm, happy feeling come over me. Usually, I have the paranoid feeling. Last weekend I was at Bainbridge at 102' and was getting disoriented and paranoid. Went up to 85' and felt better.

Stacey

Thanks to all...BTW-dove the shark tank at the Camden NJ aquarium today-great dive! Sand tigers and brown, turtles and rays!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom