Narcosis Managing Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think I stayed pretty consistently loaded from 1976 to 1983, and today it's no easier for me to "maintain dude!" at depth.

Might make the after-dive cheeseburger taste better, though.

See, there is the problem, you quit 26 years ago. :wink: You are no longer acclimated to it.

I dove 47 meter which was much for me. I didn't feel anything. The group were old salties and some extrem deep diver for a low budget government.

They asked me: "how much do you drink normally"
They believe if you always drink a lot alcohol the brain get used to it. I really drink a lot, but don't bash me.....just my experience!

If you are going to be diving in the Great Lakes, it's important to remember that each lake carries different diving conditions and, therefore, may affect narcosis in different ways. Diving in Lake Superior is beautiful but cold, diving lake Michigan can be warmer but depending on where you are at very, very dark. While the cold can affect you the dark may affect you at a lessor depth. (make any sense?)

I think the most important factor in dealing with narcosis is recognition. I have a tendency to want to find a dead fish and chase my husband around (grin)... My husband has his own quirks. A friend of ours plays with his regulator. That's all fine when you're a "happy narc" but when it comes to being in dark, very low viz water, it can have a different effect.

Hello everyone! I really appreciate the comments and advice. I have been thinking and researching lately to prepare for this upcoming OW season.
I have learned a lot from posts and reading in several books.
I know several of you have mentioned some great information and I love that we can share a sense of humor while still learning!
I feel that is what makes SB a special place that can be a wealth of information with a few laughs along the way! We share the greatest activity in the world!
Thanks to all and safe diving!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

If you are dead-set on deep air, I think PSAI is the only agency with a narcosis management regiment:

PSAI::professional Scuba Association International

240 on air anyone?? :O

Yes please

I'll be taking this course in the Philippines next month, will post my thoughts afterwards

FTR the philosophy of the course, as I understand it (not having done the course yet obviously) is not about encouraging deep air diving, but about experiencing deep air & learning management techniques (DATA) which you can then utilise on shallow(er) air and/or with trimix

How often would one experience a 'dark' narc compared to a good narc? I'm assuming they're pretty rare?

It's not something you can put a percentage on - you can have a good experience deep one day and a bad one at a shallower depth the next. There are a lot of factors that contribute, including fitness, attitude, water temperature, visibility, hydration, experience, task loading, equipment etc etc. It varies from day to day and person to person

Bottom line is they can both be equally dangerous, so one isn't "better" to get than the other

I do some training many already mentioned, but the one that have been giving me better results is an exercise called HE addition! :D

I do some training many already mentioned, but the one that have been giving me better results is an exercise called HE addition! :D

I had no idea that DIR recommended the addition of high explosives for narcosis management. :)

Greetings once again and thanks for the advice and humor! Ha!
I have been training for my Adv.Nitrox and Deco class, Tri Mix is around the corner!
It is a awesome thing hanging out in the extended range 100'+. I have been working my way into longer bottom times and what that entails. Mixed gases and the procedures for their use. Any suggestions from the faithful?
My compressor should arrive by the end of the month! I am so ready to do my own fills AT HOME! It is not a 10cfm but it will do.
Thanks for the comments and I am preparing for some narcosis management training above water," adult beverages that is!"
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom