Narcosis Managing Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To summarise/add, these may help, in no particular order:

1. Hydrate
2. Dive deep incrementally
3. Descend slowly
4. Gain experience at depth
5. Reduce workload
6. Reduce task loading
7. Know your equipment
8. Be aware you're narc'd
9. Have a good buddy
11. Remember how to count

IMHO, it's a matter of how badly you get it and how you deal with it

Good enough list.

what I'll add to that is to learn how to breathe properly so you're not inadvertently making it worse by CO2 retention. IIRC Brett Gilliam once wrote an article in which he described his breathing technique for the 300ft air dives he did.

Narcosis is something you need to understand on a couple of levels. First just on the physical level (you get slower, you feel drunk, you lose concentration) but also on the psychological level... meaning what it does to *you*; how it makes you feel.

I've made a lot of deep dives and I have a very good idea of what to expect and what things I can and should not do deeper than about 36 metres. For example, deeper than 36 metres I simply can't concentrate well enough on most days to go inside a wreck except on the simpelest of penetrations (swim throughs). There's no really good way to get that experience without just making the dives.

Proceed slowly, ask your buddy for input and be completely honest with yourself. I don't think you can really *manage* the narcosis but you do have some control over your own psyche and therefore you can *manage* the reaction to it to some degree.

R..

I have no objection to Deep Air, on the basis of narcosis. But the PPO2 has to be considered....

(73m = PPO2 1.75)

I remember my first deeper dive. We were at about 80 or 90 fsw. I remember I thought my mask was leaking slightly, and it was making me EXTREMELY mad!!! I now dive to 100+ quite regularly without any issues, I think my deepest is about 130 or so. I know I'm narcd when I'm that deep, but as long as I don't work to hard, and pay attention to dive time and gas supply, I can enjoy the dive.

what I'll add to that is to learn how to breathe properly so you're not inadvertently making it worse by CO2 retention.

Often overlooked is the fact that CO2 is approximately 27 times more narcotic than nitrogen.

People say exertion makes you more susceptible to narcosis - I suspect it is simply CO2 buildup.

Trying to manage narcosis is a lot like practicing drunk driving so you get better at it.

I don't think so...

Richard

All the techniques listed, so far, for managing narcosis seem to assume one thing - that nothing will go wrong. Reducing stress and workload (as a tool) is just wishing in the wind. If an emergency happens, your stress and workload may increase exponentially. being aware you are narc'd is also a real issue.... because divers are very rarely fully aware of the true extend of their incapacitation...until something goes wrong.

Our personal diving thresholds should be limited by our capacity to survive the worst case scenario.

Our personal diving thresholds should be limited by our capacity to survive the worst case scenario.

Very well said.

Best wishes.

Trying to manage narcosis is a lot like practicing drunk driving so you get better at it.

I don't think so...

Richard

Wow. That is a really terrible analogy. Makes me feel better about my bad analogies.

Greetings once again it is time for my academics and onto the dives. I am very ready to get started. The more research and training I do the more I see the value of Tri-Mix!
I think it will not be long. In my dives "deep over 100'" I have found it very relaxing to sling my bottles and putt around. It has been more difficult to think about working instead of diving everyday. One thing is certain I have enjoyed many cool dives!
I have learned more about relief valves than I wanted to. The do not do list is just about complete. I will be at Huron the end of the month the way it is looking but before I am finished with my class. I hope the charter will allow my deco bottles as well as plans. We will see. Till I return thank you for the advice and entertainment. I like the above water suggestions but have to be careful, a DUI is not a option!
Safe diving all and have fun.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Back
Top Bottom