NAUI Instructor Getting Back Into Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeadCactus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

I was a newbie NAUI certified instructor for about a year and a DM for half a year before that. Then life and a change in geography got in the way and my diving came to a halt. My membership expired back in 2009 and that's around the last time I dove.

Anyway, things have changed again and I have hopes of getting back into diving soon. Eventually I'd like to get back into teaching, though for now the focus is getting back into being a proficient diver.

Looking ahead though, I'm having a hard time finding out what the process would be to be able to teach or DM again. I would think there's more to it after two years than just paying my dues/insurance and submitting the form?

I'm also trying to figure out the best route for returning to being a competent instructor. My current plan is to focus on getting some new dives under my belt, getting my certification back, and then volunteering to assist an instructor more up to date on their skills. Does that seem reasonable?

Thank you for any input.

-DC

Pretty much all it takes is to show proof of insurance and get a physical exam ... and pay your membership dues, of course.

I took a year off between July 2009 and June 2010 and it was rather simple to get back into it.

My best advice would be to contact NAUI HQ and talk to someone in their training department.

Your plan for getting back into it seems reasonable to me. Frankly, if your profile is accurate, I'd recommend spending about a year diving and assisting more experienced instructors before moving ahead with teaching your own classes. There is no substitute for in-water experience before trying to train others how to dive.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not sure about NAUI, but i believe once your certified it is good forever. you can show your card and dive anywhere. Your membership is just a club, you don't pay annually to keep your certification. Unless you are trying to become an instructor right away. if so see above.

You can also convert your training to another agency relatively easy if there is a shop close by that you want to use.

good diving to you and welcome back!

brian

For the instructor part you are also supposed to take the NAUI update exam and assist in a course. Of course, pay your dues and insurance, not all that tough especially considering your short hiatus. The plan you have mapped out of just getting back in the water, getting your skills and comfort level back and then assisting an active NAUI instructor is spot on.

Good luck,
Jeff

Back
Top Bottom