NAUI Nonsense

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had to call NAUI last week. I was filling in an application for my daughter and it wanted her Cert #. The woman at NAUI said the do not use numbers but their data base assigns it like this..

example:

William Smith DOB 1-2-65

His Cert would be "smit010265wil"

I asked if she was kidding and she insisited that she was not!

Ive never been asked by cert # and I have dove in many diff. places. If you have your card there is no issues. I wouldnt worry about the whole cert # deal

Youll get one if you ever take any leadership courses. divemaster and instructor

Certification levels aside, I know that I have NEVER been questioned on it when I gave my diver # 37619 ( I think that is the standard NAUI number if I recall correctly) with my NAUI Advanced Opern Water card in hand. If I am ever questioned, I will hand the card over to them and tell them to take it up with NAUI, not me.

And FYI, I did the NAUI AOW three years ago and it WAS 5 dives (deep, Nav, S&R, PPB and night) with additional physics and physiology but it was not what is called out for in previous posts for "Advanced Diver".
I just got my NAUI card, there isn't a number anywhere on it except for my instructors number. The only thing i have is the card. Is there other material other than the training pac that i should have received?

I just got my NAUI card, there isn't a number anywhere on it except for my instructors number. The only thing i have is the card. Is there other material other than the training pac that i should have received?

You have everything you are supposed to have. NAUI simply does not use diver cert numbers except for the leadership level.

Jeff Heim
NAUI Inst. #10880

Thank you for the quixk reply, nice to know i have everything i need!!! Now i can't wait to get wet
Ron

Odd, my card from april of 1980 has a registration number on it that is not my SSN. there is also my instructors number on there as well.

Things tend to change in 28 years.

That is why NAUI as a rule does not put pictures on C-cards. Other forms of ID, like driver's licenses, have a new picture every few years.

When you dive, you either have a current diver's liscense or passport with you, which looks alot more like me now, then my first open water card (PADI) nearly 30 years old. I think I have aged well compaired to that picture.

And FYI, I did the NAUI AOW three years ago and it WAS 5 dives (deep, Nav, S&R, PPB and night) with additional physics and physiology but it was not what is called out for in previous posts for "Advanced Diver".
Sounds like you were one dive short of your Advanced...please cut up your card and report to your nearest NAUI instructor for remediation....:wink:

Deep, Night and Nav are required, 3 others are theoretically "choosable", though I'm usually the one that chooses them for my students...

To address another query, Master Diver is the highest ranted recreational diver in the NAUI system. Advanced is required as a NAUI prerequisite (though I require Rescue as well), 8 dives and knowledge development similar to PADI's DM-level Encyclopedia of diving.

It seemed strange to me at first, but now it makes sense. In the NAUI system, the pinnacle of knowledge development happens at the recreational level, one step before DM. In the PADI system, the KD happens at the first step of pro, DM.

The nice thing about that for me is divers who want to "be all they can be" in the NAUI system, can go master diver and not have to take the step to Pro.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom