NAUI to PADI after AOW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm pretty confused about what I'm able to do here. I have my AOW with NAUI, but I will be in the Caribbean for a few months and am planning on getting higher certs. However, almost all the shops down there are PADI.
My question is, can I switch from NAUI to PADI after the AOW cert? or will I have to redo it in PADI?

I'm pretty confused about what I'm able to do here. I have my AOW with NAUI, but I will be in the Caribbean for a few months and am planning on getting higher certs. However, almost all the shops down there are PADI.
My question is, can I switch from NAUI to PADI after the AOW cert? or will I have to redo it in PADI?

PADI accepts students with certifications from other agencies. I am pretty sure the NAUI AOW is counted as the equivalent to the PADI AOW. You could take the PADI Rescue Diver Course and that could be your first PADI certification. You also could take any PADI specialty that has PADI OW or AOW as a prerequisite.

That is a shame. NAUI courses get much more interesting and challenging as well as more comprehensive as you go higher in the training ladder. It is usually much easier to go to PADI from NAUI than the other way around because NAUI demands higher level of training and competency in the upper level programs.

I suggest that you check with NAUI to see if there are NAUI instructors where you will be going in the Caribbean.

BTW, NAUI uses the term: "Advanced Scuba Diver" or "ASD" to denote its next higher level course from the entry level, "Scuba Diver" or "SD" certification level.

From what I've always read on SB, the PADI Rescue Course varies a lot with instructor. I would assume it's the same with NAUI, but admit I don't know, as I don't recall the NAUI Rescue being discussed here much--not sure why.
After that of course there are the "pro" levels, where you must go through with the same agency. Unless you for example are an instructor with one agency and want to be certified with the other. Then you have to satisfy some criteria to get the knowledge of the other agency's way of doing things. Others can explain that procedure better.

With NAUI, there is the "Rescue Techniques" course and there is the "Advanced Rescue Techniques" course (for leadership and Professional rescuers). NAUI has a standing by itself "Master Diver" course (unlike PADI, it is a full fledged course and not a collection of five specialties) that is very unique in the dive business with emphasis on advanced level knowledge and diving skills. The NAUI MSD course has a lot of academic knowledge and in-class hours in addition to a minimum of 8 dives.

Back
Top Bottom