NAUI to PADI Instructor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jason McAnear

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello Divers!

I became a NAUI Instructor last January and due to the fact that EVERY dive shop in Roatan (where I live now) is a PADI shop, I am going to have to cross-over at some point. So my inquiries here at the local shops are all met with the same response, I will have to pay for the entire IDC/EFR. Now.... that just seems a little odd to me. I am a certified Instructor with a different agency, surely there is a shorter and less costly process for crossing over. Anyone care to advise me?

Thanks,
Jason
The Dive Masters

hmmm, when I did a crossover from NAUI to Padi they had me do a ICC and the IE. They knocked a couple hundred off the IDC price and I didn't "have to" attend all the IDS sessions but did anyhow. Of course that was some time ago.

I did a a crossover to SDI and TDI from PADI, an online exam for $500. To be honest, I think going through an entire IDC would have been a better option to get me up to speed for a different agency. Sure the actual skills are similar but learning new formats and logistics for about 12 crossover instructor courses (OW, Adv, Res, DM, specialties etc) was challenging. After several hundred certs for PADI you get pretty comfortable. So, try to overcome any "but I'm already an instructor" feelings and look at it as an opportunity to learn and possibly pass on some of what you know.......and try to forget about all the cool gear you could have bought for the cost of an IDC.

You have to complete the OWSI component of the IDC ( IDC= AI & OWSI) and then pass any IE, anywhere within 12 months of the OWSI program. To qualify for PADI OWSI, you need to be an EFR instructor. Every instructor has to take a PADI IE to qualify, that's the PADI way which works pretty well, in my opinion.

Or get a loan and open a NAUI shop in Roatan..........

Process to be NAUI Instructor = ITC (ITP + IQP) or ICC (ICP + IQP) for crossover
Process to be PADI Open Water Scuba Instuctor = IDC + IE for both DM or crossover

PADI IDC = NAUI ITP or ICP
PADI IE = NAUI IQP

When PADI Instructors do NAUI crossover, they have to participate both ICP + IQP and vice versa.

Note: ITC = Instructor Training Course
ITP = Instructor Training Program
IQP = Instructor Qualification Program
ICC = Instructor Crossover Course
ICP = Instructor Crossover Program
IDC = Instructor Development Course
IE = Instructor Examination

Regards

Keep in mind - it is not only about instructing - you are essentially entering a franchise - so it is about doing things the PADI way.

Dive the World, you are misinformed--it's not a franchise and it is about instructing. Plainly put, every agency has a set of standards that must be met while conducting courses. Just because an instructor knows the standards and is familiar with the materials from one agency does not mean that s/he will be instantly conversant with the materials and standards of a second agency regardless of that instructor's acquired expertise in teaching scuba diving through the original agency. The OWSI portion of the PADI IDC focuses on PADI standards and on using the various PADI teaching aids available in both for the classroom setting and the in-water settings (confined and open water). If I were to cross over to NAUI, I would be expected to follow the "NAUI way" when issuing NAUI certs, and in order to follow the NAUI way, I would need to have an in-depth knowledge of the standards and procedures NAUI requires its instructors to adhere to. The various agencies function similarly on this organisational level. Now whether the most effective means for gaining the necessary understanding is by doing an IDC is a different issue. But it's simply inaccurate to state that the reason for doing the IDC is because the instructor is entering into a franchise agreement.

Back
Top Bottom