Nausea and Tired

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

skdvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A few months ago I went out to a local quarry and did 2 dives with some buddies with a max depth of 35' and max time of 40 min. We decided to wrap up for the evening and when we were checking out at the office someone else showed up and wanted to dive but did not have a buddy. I was starting to get a little bit of a headache but told him I would stay and do a night dive with him. After about 25 min into the dive I called it because my headache was really starting to kick in (again max depth of 35'). We got everything packed up and I was starting to feel a little nauseaus so I got in my truck and headed up to the office to check out and I had to stop to vomit. I flet much better after that and checked out and headed home. It is a 40 min drive from the quarry to my house and after about 5 min on the road I could barely keep my eyes open. I had to call my wife to talk to me as well as pull over a couple of times to get out and walk around. After a few hours at home I felt much better.

I had just gotten a new drysuit that has a neoprene neck seal that was quite tight around my neck. I attributed the headache to that and being a bit dehydrated, and missing dinner. Before I went out on my next dives a few weeks later I stretched the neck seal over a tank. I did one 1 hour long dive the day after the neck seal stretch and felt fine. Two weeks later I did 3 more dives in the same quarry and felt just fine.

Then last weekend I went back out to the quarry and after I geared up for the 1st dive I felt like the neckseal was real tight again and had to keep pulling it off my neck for some relief while we were getting ready. Once I am in the water I am fine... So we do the 1st dive and I feel fine (50min with max depth of 35'). About 15 min or so into the second dive I start getting a headache and decide to keep going on the dive for about another 15 min. That was our last dive of the day. After we packed up I went up to the office and I started to feel a bit like I had been drinking. I felt like I was having a hard time concentrating. I sat there chit chatting for about 20 min and then headed home. I got a few min down the road and pulled over and again I vomited. I felt better for a little bit, but ended up have to pull off to the side of the road and call my wife to come and pick my up because I could not keep my eyes open. By the time she got there (about 30min) I felt about 90%, then about an hour after that I felt 100%.

I did notice on my second dive when I started to get a headache that it seemed like I was skip breathing. I would inhale, pause, exhale, pause. I am not sure why I was doing that because it is not something that I normally do. Or at least I do not realize that I do. I was conciously trying to pay attention to my breathing because I was starting to think of CO2 buildup. I was not worried about air being low. I was diving Double HP120's in a 35ft quarry.

So my thought is that it was probably a CO2 buildup that was made worse with the tight neck seal??? Is that even something that sounds logical or do you think that there may be something else going on???

Thanks
Phil

I would guess that it is CO2 problem. Let us see what the others say.

Were you diving a reg/mask or full face mask?
and/or did you get all the air for all three trips form the same place?

Were you diving a reg/mask or full face mask?
and/or did you get all the air for all three trips form the same place?

Normal reg and mask. All my air came from the same shop... It was just air by the way too...

Phil

I would guess that it is CO2 problem. Let us see what the others say.

Lets say that I have been skip breathing for longer than I think I have and have had a build up of CO2 in the past but never really enough to notice. Would the tighter than normal neck seal make me feel the effects more?

Thanks
Phil

I'm with Doctor Deco, this sounds like a breathing issue to me

Lets say that I have been skip breathing for longer than I think I have and have had a build up of CO2 in the past but never really enough to notice. Would the tighter than normal neck seal make me feel the effects more?

Hi Phill,

The effects of excessive C02 accumulation indeed could be made worse by an overly tight neck seal.

It is very likely that return to a normal u/w breathing pattern and correction of the neck seal issue will end the headaches.

Best of luck,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom