Navigation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Welshmen,
Obviously the dive would be planned before hand. . .

What I was intending was following the same return path. From your response, I guess I have the right idea, its just a matter of practicing it.

Darryl

Just want to reiterate the go slow approach. Painfully slow. Really, really slow.

I am just getting it also, and basically give one medium frog kick, and re-evaluate, kick, eval, etc. Boy, the first time that old rusted car in the quarry showed up in the gloom and I had found it in poor vis by compass, well... I need to dive some where else.

I also have a Suunto sk7 which has a lot of available play for the floater. For starting out it has helped me a lot, as that is one less thing to worry about.

Tommy

Thanks for all the tips. It looks like I'll be in my back yard learning to use a compass. I'm still wondering if my sense of direction underwater (without a compass) will improve with experience.

Darryl

Sorry, I got the impression you were going to play your navigation by ear. Apologies.

You have the basic idea right and practice is required. A Navigation course is a good start point.

Luv2Dive

If you dive a site regularly you will become familiar with its own distinctive features but navigation without a compass underwater is difficult especially the worse the visibility. It's the same in a plane. If I'm flying in clear blue skies with maybe 20 miles plus of vis I will have visual reference points by which I can navigate provided I have a map. If I'm flying in cloud I have no visual reference points. I can only navigate by a combination of compass and time (assuming I don't have any beacons which I can fly to using the devices such as a VOR/DME.

Hope this helps.

regards

I dove in the quarry yesterday with vis about 5 ft! I'm so proud that I found my way to the rocket and back to the dock using my compass. I also stumbled onto the navigational course and was able to find 3 out of 4 destinations. Thanks for all ya'lls tips. L2D:)

:mean:
I have to give you a big :yea: That is what the instructor did for my wife when she took nav. It is one of the easiest ways of learning to deal with your compass.
Try it before you take the course, and just keep doing it over and over and over again.

Rich :mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom