Near Drowning at Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott,

you seem to understand the difference between a "cyber-cave diver" and a "real cave diver" perfectly. You will go far and will stay safe because of your attitude. It's so obvious to you, but unfortunately: common sense, ain't very common.

NetDoc:
Scott,

you seem to understand the difference between a "cyber-cave diver" and a "real cave diver" perfectly. You will go far and will stay safe because of your attitude. It's so obvious to you, but unfortunately: common sense, ain't very common.
So true, so where do I get me cyber-cave-diver card? :eyebrow:

Funny Story. While on my recent trip to PDC I had a tough time convincing anyone I was new (of course that was before my first dive). I showed up looking good with alll new gear, whipped out my handy dandy Nitrox tester, tested my bottles, was able to talk shop with anybody I met. I must admit that all the reading and advice gained was a tremendous help in getting the diving straightened out. By the end of the week my trim and bouyancy was well on it's way.

I've been in Ginnie many times, and as others have pointed out, it can be alternately exhilarating and frightening. The "partial overhead" environment, as they used to call it, requires some extra respect and increased attention to detail to make it an enjoyable experience. But then again, so does diving in heavy chop, in current, in low viz, etc. Let's face it, the mental preparedness that we have to do in many of our environments is part of what makes us come back to the water time and time again.

It was good to hear that the Ginnie staff were so professional and that this case had a positive outcome. Wherever the diver is, I send my best wishes and hope she is able to go under again (safely, without incident) at some point in the future...

-Grier

I was there too. Apparently, she took in some water in the ballroom and then has a gage reflex which turned into panic. I tried to rush over with O2 when I saw they had her up but O2 was already on the scene. Two members of my VA based group were involved in the rescue and I agree that the scene was handled Very "textbook" :) Must be that PADI training :) LOL. It goes to show though, even a benine location like the ballroom can be too much overhead than some divers should be in.

VaPadiDiver:
I agree that the scene was handled Very "textbook" :) Must be that PADI training :) LOL.

Practice makes perfect. LOL
It goes to show though, even a benine location like the ballroom can be too much overhead than some divers should be in.

I don't think that any overhead environment is benine.

Just a quick note, the last I heard she is doing fine. As to getting in the water any time soon is too quick to say. Hopefully, it will be something that she can overcome and will dive again.

i don't think ANYTHING is benine. i challenge anyone to point to a single thing, person, or event in the whole history of the galaxy that was benine.

now, if you mean benign... well... my attack siamese sure is benign when you give him food

yeah... i... er.... knew that

Hey with all the fancy upgrades how about a spell checker?

Other wise consider anything that I write as -->fonics<-- (spelled the way it should be spelled)

Back
Top Bottom