Necessity of Dive Computer for new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vuk Milicevic

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all

I went to my LDS last night to get a rough estimate of what it will cost me to get certified along with mandatory gear and equipment required. While I wasn't expecting any of this to come cheap, it was significantly more than I thought it would be.

One of the things that stood out is that the instructor recommended I buy a dive computer for the dives but said I could get away with using a stop watch but in that case I'd need to do some extra work with tables and what not.

My question is - as someone brand-spanking-new to diving, how necessary is it to have a dive computer versus a simple stop watch? The difference in cost is huge. While I don't want to penny pinch and buy the cheapest product out there, I also have to face the fact that I don't have endless amounts of money to dish out on all sorts of things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Get the computer. It seems the average recreational diver who uses tables is rarer than the blue footed booby.

If cost is an issue, look for something used. You can easily get something below $200. Mares Puck or Suunto Zoop seem to be popular low cost options.

You'd need a depth gauge as well as a bottom timer/watch.

You can easily rent other gear, but it's best to have your own computer so you're familiar with it.

I made around 300 dives before getting a computer, and then only because it was a gift. For recreational diving, computers allow for a lot more bottom time and shorter surface intervals than using tables. For a new diver, you will likely be limited by air consumption so the extra bottom time allowed is moot. You could still get one and track your dives carefully so you can see when your air consumption improves.

I made around 300 dives before getting a computer, and then only because it was a gift. For recreational diving, computers allow for a lot more bottom time and shorter surface intervals than using tables. For a new diver, you will likely be limited by air consumption so the extra bottom time allowed is moot. You could still get one and track your dives carefully so you can see when your air consumption improves.

Some of the guys I dive with, who have been diving for years, don't have computers, tables, etc. Just a depth gauge. The thought process is they know based on tables they simply don't have enough gas to exceed their NDL on a square 40-60 ft. dive.

I would buy a computer if you can afford it.

I just noticed a Mares Puck with free shipping for $149.00, pretty inexpensive. A quick Google search shows analog sets in the same price range.
Now if they were trying to sell you a Shearwater Perdix with air integration, then yes it's expensive.

You will want to dive with a DC, but the question for you now is do you buy/rent/borrow one.

My advice is rent one. Being new to the sport you might well become an avid diver for the next 40-50 years, but then again maybe not. Also there are different choices and you dont have enough information about what you might ultimately want. Starting out, learn the basics enjoy the sport and don't stress out your bank account. There's plenty of time to get lots of expensive gear when you have more dives and certs under your belt.

But you should dive with a DC. Just about anyplace you go to dive will require you to use one. You should understand tables and the theory behind the info on the DC, but the display on any DC makes it easy to check your depth, bottom time, nitrogen consumption, etc

I would advise you purchase or rent a computer. There is a lot going on and being able to focus on one device that gives you several information points at once sure is helpful at the beginning stages. Used is a good option. Remember you don't have to purchase everything at once.

Dive safe!

Personally I would include a dive computer in the list of definite equipment to have. Renting might be an option short term but having your own is better as you know exactly what the display is telling you (assuming you read the manual).

Having a computer not only helps you track NDL but allows you to review your dives at a later date and analyse them for things such as profiles depth etc

I have bought four computers on eBay based on how pretty the pictures looked for the models I wanted and have been satisfied every time.

Search for a used Veo100, Veo180 or maybe Oceanic Pro Plus 2 for air integrated (look that term up in your open water manual).
Great value for the money, and when you get bitten by the bug, you can tuck the Veo in your bcd for your spare computer.
(Yes, many divers on an expensive vacation trip put a cheap backup in their bcd pocket in case their primary conks out. Why lose a days diving not knowing your theoretical nitrogen load?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom