Need advice on BP/W package.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

....everybody sinks like a stone and you use a bunch of gas to get stabilized...
...I am an "air hog" which is why I moved up to the 100cu tank so I can get max bottom time...

It probably looks like I'm jumping in out of the blue here, but I began to read the thread because I have a DSS rig. I wonder how much of your "air hog" tendencies might be related to being overweighted and sinking like a stone? Seems like that would have an effect.

It would be really interesting to hear back from you after you've dived your new rig, not over-weighted, to see if that changed.

Enjoy your new BC :)

Blue Sparkle

Thanks again guys, I'm sure glad I came here to ask stupid questions instead of the Hogarthian forum, those guys are wound a little too tight for me. One last question for Tobin, why did you suggest the 26lb Torus versus the 30lb LCD for my rig? I kind of like the features and shape of the LCD, but if it would screw up the functionality of my set-up I would get the Torus. Let me know, I'll be placing an order in about a week.

Thanks again guys, I'm sure glad I came here to ask stupid questions instead of the Hogarthian forum, those guys are wound a little too tight for me. One last question for Tobin, why did you suggest the 26lb Torus versus the 30lb LCD for my rig? I kind of like the features and shape of the LCD, but if it would screw up the functionality of my set-up I would get the Torus. Let me know, I'll be placing an order in about a week.

My recommendation was based on required lift, either will work fine.

Tobin

part of the overweighted vs sac issue doesn't actually arise from the divers being weighted too negatively, but it has to do with them compensating for too much of that weight in their lungs as opposed to the bladder. We have our students remove their gear and try to hover above the tanks, we'll allow them to thread an arm through a shoulder strap loosely so they don't float away by accident, but their sac usually goes way down after that

Interesting. I would suppose that more air would go in and out of the BC as well?

I was also thinking that perhaps an over-weighted person would be out of trim, thus having to continually kick (or move something) and using more gas. Of course the two don't have to be mutual, and someone could be over-weighted but in perfect trim. But then you would think that if a person worked at getting their trim just right, they would also be "into" weight checks (of course there are exceptions, I'm sure).

I hope the OP posts back after some time with the new setup :)

most every cave diver and technical diver is significantly overweighted for the majority of their dive if not the whole thing. this stems from the heavy steel tanks. while they aren't wearing a weightbelt, they have no real choice, either don't carry enough gas, or be properly weighted. Their sac won't change for the most part though because they put all the air they need in the bc and breathe just as they would if they were holding onto an AL80 with no weight on. if the divers are not trimmed properly they are usually too heavy with not enough air in their bc and are kicking in the upward direction as well as forwards. Not much of it has to do with the extra air in and out of the bc if they are using it properly. maybe a point or two but not significant unless they are constantly adding air. who knows, would need to see the guy dive

Hey guys, interesting points of view and I am recognizing some of my problems from your descriptions. I do feel like a dog chasing his tail most of the time I'm submerged, I purge the BC to sink and easily decend to the bottom then I have to add air to the BC to get off the bottom then it seems I start floating up, I purge and start sinking again. Usually after a few minutes of this nonsense I get "some what" stabilized but usually have to swim constantly to stay level. I recognize that these problems began as I moved from primarily cold water diving to warm water diving. I just never seemed to have these issues when diving in cold water gear, of course the weight issue was less apparent due to the much higher bouyancy of 14mm of neoprene. All of my previous warm water diving was "vacation style" in the Carribean and South Florida where my "rig" was a pair of swim trunks, t-shirt, BC/reg, and 10lbs on a belt. I have to admit that these minimalist outings were some of the most enjoyable dives ever and an 80cu aluminum was all I ever needed. I guess I have been just too embarrased to ask advice of the local dive masters/instructors after they looked at my C-card and commented that it was older than they were. Thanks again for the info., I'll report back on my new adventures with a DSS rig.

Hey guys, interesting points of view and I am recognizing some of my problems from your descriptions. I do feel like a dog chasing his tail most of the time I'm submerged, I purge the BC to sink and easily decend to the bottom then I have to add air to the BC to get off the bottom then it seems I start floating up, I purge and start sinking again. Usually after a few minutes of this nonsense I get "some what" stabilized but usually have to swim constantly to stay level. I recognize that these problems began as I moved from primarily cold water diving to warm water diving. I just never seemed to have these issues when diving in cold water gear, of course the weight issue was less apparent due to the much higher bouyancy of 14mm of neoprene. All of my previous warm water diving was "vacation style" in the Carribean and South Florida where my "rig" was a pair of swim trunks, t-shirt, BC/reg, and 10lbs on a belt. I have to admit that these minimalist outings were some of the most enjoyable dives ever and an 80cu aluminum was all I ever needed. I guess I have been just too embarrased to ask advice of the local dive masters/instructors after they looked at my C-card and commented that it was older than they were. Thanks again for the info., I'll report back on my new adventures with a DSS rig.

Proper weighting pays many dividends. Most importantly it is safer. Being over weighted makes any BC failure much more difficult to deal with.

Proper weighting makes buoyancy control easier, and buoyancy control is the basis for almost all other scuba skills.

If you are properly weighted you will have less gas in your BC during all phases of the dive, and a smaller "bubble" is simply easier to manage.

Time spent shallow working on hovering (Not hoovering :wink:) is time well spent IMO.

Good luck,

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom