Need an uw camera "expert"...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whichever camera you get, also buy a Sealife orange float strap. It seems like most first time camera owners lose theirs.

Just get a gopro and go
I have two of them now with EyeofMine professional housings
You just about cant shoot wrong with them.

would I win any awards no, but I have full high def video of the adventure and that is good with me.

So, I have the Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS. I always just use the underwater mode. Is there a better way to set the camera for underwater? Would a camera this basic have a WB setting?

So, I have the Canon PowerShot SD1300 IS. I always just use the underwater mode. Is there a better way to set the camera for underwater? Would a camera this basic have a WB setting?
I recommend reading the manual for your camera. Also, Canon created a webpage with links to various tutorials on shooting tips and how to prepare/care for your underwater housing. It's worth a look.

Canon's Underwater Mode is a shooting mode that tweaks the white balance to compensate for the loss of red color at depth. If you think about it, the Underwater Mode pre-set will only have a certain range of depths for which it will work OK. However, at depths shallower than the usable range, it's going to overshoot on the compensation, making the reds too "bright" (overexposed). At depths deeper than the usable range, it's going to undershoot. It's up to you whether or not you want to use Underwater Mode. I never use it personally. For still photography macro subjects, I use the internal flash or an external strobe with the white balance set to Auto. For still photography wide angle-style shots without an external strobe, I turn off the internal flash and simply do the white balancing in post-processing. Years ago for video clips, I always did Custom white balance (using some white duct tape or a wrist slate) for my depth just prior to recording. I felt compelled to do this because my video editing program of choice (iMovie) at the time didn't have any free, built-in tools for adjusting white balance. At some point in the last few years, iMovie acquired a convenient white balancing tool, so now I just hold up a wrist slate at the beginning of the clip and do my white balancing for video in post. Very convenient.

Yes, the SD1300IS has several different white balance pre-sets: Auto, Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, and Custom. If you really wanted to, you could certainly employ a Custom white balance setting for a given depth. Unfortunately, you'd have to recalibrate the Custom white balance setting when the colors change, i.e., you change depth. Depending on your image editor of choice, it might just be easier to white balance your photos in post.

According to the on line manual YES

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0300003266/01/PSSD1300IS_IXUS105IS_CUG_EN.pdf

Page 71

All of the user friendly mode settings are based on an average set of conditions (scene, underwater, sport etc) and for those not willing to learn the specifics needed for particular shooting conditions they will produce better results than AUTO or PROGRAM mode, but the aren't as good as what can be done by someone who knows the correct way to set the same camera for a specific situation. That said not all P & S cameras let the user pick the right settings because the manufacturer designed the body for those just trying to get a photo using the point & click route. Cameras that don't have a Tv (time value OR shutter speed) & Av (aperture or size of the lens opening) mode are aimed at those people. Cameras with Tv, Av, & M mode are for those who want some say in how a photo is captured.

This may or may not be of interest but I wrote it for my fellow Tripadvisor members some time ago & tried to keep it simple. If you read it & have specific questions that it doesn't address ask & I'm sure some of us will try our best to answer.

Understanding your digital camera, the basics. - Cozumel Forum - TripAdvisor

That is a good link. I'll spend some time checking out the settings I have never used. Also, I realize that I should bracket my shots when possible. It is so easy to see if I got what I wanted right after shooting, I can try a variety of WB presents and see which looks best.

Does you're camera shoot in RAW format Dan? If so, like mentioned earlier, you don't even have to mess with the settings. WB is very easy to correct in Photoshop or Lightroom. With my point and shoot and my DSLR I NEVER mess with the WB on the Cam.

Does you're camera shoot in RAW format Dan? If so, like mentioned earlier, you don't even have to mess with the settings. WB is very easy to correct in Photoshop or Lightroom. With my point and shoot and my DSLR I NEVER mess with the WB on the Cam.

But it's good to keep in mind that you will need some hefty sized memory cards when shooting RAW.

But it's good to keep in mind that you will need some hefty sized memory cards when shooting RAW.
Nah, if you have a 10mpx camera the RAW files would be approx 20mb each, plus the 5mb jpeg. Thats 40ish pictures per gigabyte.
In other words 160, lets be conservative and say 150 pictures on a 4gig card.
The 4gig cards cost next to nothing and even 16gig cards is $20-25 so I wouldnt worry about that.

I worry more about storing the backups on harddrives as I tend to have the RAW file, an edited JPEG, the original JPEG plus for the pictures I want to put more work into a multilayer psd (which can get SERIOUSLY big). And for redundancy you should keep those on two separate disks..

Back
Top Bottom