Need cave divers opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No potential use I can think of. You keep refering to use as "bail out", unless you are diving a CCR, there's not really any need for a separate bail out. The need for emergency gas is handled in your gas planning, most times I wouldn't see much need for carrying "bail-out", an if I wanted to carry extra gas, it would be in a single slung AL80, which is WAY less complex, smaller, and more versatile (can clip on or off, pass to buddy, etc.).

You also mention as a bail out for side mount. Two primay reasons for diving sidemount from a configuration standpoint (ignoring gas management reasons):
1: easier on back/legs for those who have difficulties in strapping 120 lbs of doubles on and manuevering on land.
2: cave configuration is such that you can't easily (or at all) make it through portions of the cave w/ back-mounted doubles.

Based on that, this idea fails here as well. once again, you've added weight to the divers back (albeit less weight) and two, you created a "taller" profile that reduces ability to get into tight spaces.

As ar as potential markets, I would say that you have almost zero potential for this product in the world of cave diving.

John

No potential use I can think of. You keep refering to use as "bail out", unless you are diving a CCR, there's not really any need for a separate bail out. The need for emergency gas is handled in your gas planning, most times I wouldn't see much need for carrying "bail-out", an if I wanted to carry extra gas, it would be in a single slung AL80, which is WAY less complex, smaller, and more versatile (can clip on or off, pass to buddy, etc.).

You also mention as a bail out for side mount. Two primay reasons for diving sidemount from a configuration standpoint (ignoring gas management reasons):
1: easier on back/legs for those who have difficulties in strapping 120 lbs of doubles on and manuevering on land.
2: cave configuration is such that you can't easily (or at all) make it through portions of the cave w/ back-mounted doubles.

Based on that, this idea fails here as well. once again, you've added weight to the divers back (albeit less weight) and two, you created a "taller" profile that reduces ability to get into tight spaces.

As ar as potential markets, I would say that you have almost zero potential for this product in the world of cave diving.

John

My thinking was the 30s or 40s would not add more of a profile then the BCD wing already did so a diver with two side mounted 80s or larger could then use both to extend his time in the water but without extending his range into the cave. You would still not be able to go deeper into a cave as you would need to stay within a range that 90 or 120 cu/ft would be enough to enable to get you safely but you could increase your bottom time.

4 pages, various opinions. 100% consensus which is utterly amazing actually since we can argue about almost anything...

= no overheard use whatsoever.

My thinking was the 30s or 40s would not add more of a profile then the BCD wing already did so a diver with two side mounted 80s or larger could then use both to extend his time in the water but without extending his range into the cave. You would still not be able to go deeper into a cave as you would need to stay within a range that 90 or 120 cu/ft would be enough to enable to get you safely but you could increase your bottom time.

Don't waste any more of your time or anyone else's time putting any more thought in to any application for this set up for cave diving. Move along now, there is nothing to see here.

Without any metal bands connecting the tanks, there is a awful lot of strain on the manifold. Eventually it will go ka-boom, all air at once.

As I stated earlier I am not talking about this exact set but something like it customised to use cave diving. I just put this up as an example of what I had in mind.

Don't waste any more of your time or anyone else's time putting any more thought in to any application for this set up for cave diving. Move along now, there is nothing to see here.

As I said before I am not talking about this exact set but something like it that would be customised for cave diving. I am just brain storming and bouncing ideas off the people who know more then I do on the subject. You are not required to respond to these questions so if you have a problem with them and have nothing to contribute I would suggest that you are the one who should be moving along.

As I said before I am not talking about this exact set but something like it that would be customised for cave diving. I am just brain storming and bouncing ideas off the people who know more then I do on the subject. You are not required to respond to these questions so if you have a problem with them and have nothing to contribute I would suggest that you are the one who should be moving along.

Your persistence in the face of "not in a millions years" is surprising. Your ideas have 3x the failure points with none of the redundancy of modern cave equipment. Maybe go get some cavern or cave training before pursuing this business venture?

They do look cool in a Zissou kinda way.

... if you're unwilling to listen to the contributions of those who teach cave diving, who are you willing to listen to?

There are many reasons why your idea is ultimately unsafe for a cave application. Most of those reasons have been provided. Apparently, you're not willing to hear them.

It doesn't make sense to me that someone who knows nothing about cave diving is interested in building cave diving equipment. No right-thinking cave diver would consider buying it. If this is something you truly want to do, then I think a good first step would be to take a cave diving course, and develop a context around what equipment is suitable ... and why.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

As I stated earlier I am not talking about this exact set but something like it customised to use cave diving. I just put this up as an example of what I had in mind.

If you break them down, make them bigger, put valves on each of them, rig them kinda like stage(more or less)... you just might have something there...

Oh wait!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom