Need info on nitrox computers...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am in the market for a dive computer and I want to plan for the future. I want a nitrox compatible computer however I am not certified for nitrox yet so when I am comparing computers its hard to know what I actually need and what is just gimmick.. It appears that there are a lot of computers that will do nitrox but when I look into the technical specs some of them have a range of (for example) 21-45% where as others have a capability of 21-100%. Obviously the one capable of 100% would answer my every need for any situation however I highly doubt that I would ever need to breath 100% oxygen while diving no mater what the depth or how long (just a guess:idk:).

This is where you come in :D what I am trying to get from you is a little perspective on reality when looking at the stats of these computers. I don't want to limit my options too much by picking a computer that only goes to ... lets say 45%, but would hate to pick a computer that is second on my list if I don't actually need the 100% capability. What are the percentages of nitrox that are used? I know there are two standards 32% and 36% but would like to know the limits used between tec and rec divers. (TEC will be in the future as well)

The computer that I am looking at getting is the AERIS Manta
DiveAeris.com - Scuba Diving Computers - Manta SCUBA / Free Diving Computer Watch
It has a capability of up to 50%

The ALADIN TEC 2G is my 2nd choice
ALADIN TEC 2G - SCUBAPRO-UWATEC
it is capable of up to 100%

On a separate note but along the same topic... The TEC 2G has a "Calibration" feature that is capable of both "Salt and/or Fresh").
Any Ideas what its calibrating and why it matters between salt and fresh water? is it because they have different specific gravities?

Thanks!

On a separate note but along the same topic... The TEC 2G has a "Calibration" feature that is capable of both "Salt and/or Fresh").
Any Ideas what its calibrating and why it matters between salt and fresh water? is it because they have different specific gravities?

Thanks!

There's 2.5% difference between sea water and fresh water.

For example, at 200', a fresh water only computer will read 205' in the ocean.

if you're planning on plain ol' nitrox, you only need up to the 45-50%. you won't need up to 100% unless you take advanced nitrox (usually taken with decompression procedures), because it's used to speed up your deco.

and if you take adv nit/deco proc, you'll need/want a different computer anyway, so it can handle more than 2 gases.

so, long advice short, get a nitrox computer. don't try to get a computer for tech diving yet. one, you don't know what diving you'll be doing then so you don't know what you'll need. two, even if you guess right by the time you're tech diving computers will likely be able to make your morning coffee & you'll be sorry you jumped the gun. and three, they are hideously expensive and you won't be using the capabilities for years.

go for a one (or at the most two) gas inexpensive nitrox computer.

I agree with the above posts- a nitrox computer that does up to 45-50% is more than enough to meet your needs. I personally use an Oceanic Veo 180. It is a very simple, durable air/nitrox computer that I think is another good entry level computer and is pretty affordable. (Actually, I think the 180 is discontinued, but there is a similar model available). It is a 1 button computer, so, simple to use, but you do have to scroll through a few options.

Ditto to all of the above. Any nitrox computer will work for you and if/when you get into Technical diving you will use either a bottom timer or multi-gas computer. You already made the right choice w/ a wrist mount computer and I'm pretty sure both of these have a bottom timer mode, so you could potentially use them in that mode in Tech diving.

In deciding among the various nitrox computers I would look at display size (is it easy to se the numbers/symbols), ease of use (setting mixes, changing display settings, etc.), download capability (cost of download cable) as being more important factors.

If you "really" must have a multi-gas computer right now, a DiveRite Duo (2 gas) or Trio (3 gas) or their clones are pretty good options that won't break the bank. I used a Duo clone until I got my X1.

John

Aladin Tec2G!!!! It handles 3 gas mixes and goes to 100%. The engineering is awesome.

(not a tech diver . . . but you can't spell "GEEK" without an EE!) :D

I agree with the above posts- a nitrox computer that does up to 45-50% is more than enough to meet your needs. I personally use an Oceanic Veo 180. It is a very simple, durable air/nitrox computer that I think is another good entry level computer and is pretty affordable. (Actually, I think the 180 is discontinued, but there is a similar model available). It is a 1 button computer, so, simple to use, but you do have to scroll through a few options.

The Oceanic 180 is currently on sale at Diver's Supply for under $200 (wrist model). That's a pretty good deal: Oceanic Veo 180 Wrist Computer at Divers-Supply.com

The standard nitrox course only certify you to 40% O2 after that you will need special equipment and training.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom