Need input on buying first wetsuit - pear shaped body...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FriscoScuba

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to the sport and am buying my first suit. When I got certified I used a suit from the shop which fit horribly. First, I could barely get it on since it was sticky (Ladies-any tips!!) and then I was totally embarrassed when the suit was too tight on my thighs and I took so long to get it on. Needless to say, it was quite uncomfortable to walk in and I look horrible.

I need to buy a suit but I only want a 3mm one and would like to spend as little money as possible (just gained weight but am losing it so don't want to waste money on a suit I'll only wear a few times..)

Also, what's a dive skin? I welcome all advice,thanks so much.

Approx size 14, 5'7. THANKS

SM:embarrass

I was really worried about getting a wetsuit that was comfortable. We need a 7mm to dive around these Northern California parts.

Try the Henderson Hyperstretch. Awesome off the shelf fit. I took a 14 and it is great. Very comfortable and easy to get on and off even when wet.

Good luck!

Hi FriscoScuba,

Dive skins are just that..an extra layer of skin. They protect you from jellyfish and sun, but don't really protect you from rocks, coral or anything that can go through your skin. They have no warmth protection, so they are no wetsuits. But, they do make getting into a wetsuit a little easier.

Just for your info, ANY wetsuit is a B*tch to get on if its dry. If you don't work up a sweat and use a few choice swear words when you try it on, then its probably too big. It really should fit like a second skin..but make sure it doesn't "bind" you. Make sure you can breath, first of all. Check under the arms..move your arms around and see if you can feel any pressure places. Squat down and see if the suit hurts the back of your knees.

I always wet my suit before I put it on. Most dive shops will frown on doing this before you buy it. Wearing panty hose when you go to try on suits will help the suit go on easier...but you will still probably swear a little. Just to warn you!:wink:

Hope this helps!

I've seen several people turn the suit inside out all the way to the calf. Then they get their feet in and get the suit situated where they want it above their ankles. Once that's done they basically roll the suit up their body. The pantyhose idea works great and a dive skin lets the wetsuit slide over your body easier. "Wetsuit wrestling" is probably the only part of the sport that doesn't get much emphasis in OW classes :wink:
Ber :bunny:

Thanks to all that posted replies. I really like this forum! The pantyhose trick sounds great. One funny question though, does anyone wear them to dive with????:confused:

I get jealous when I see those skinny girls just slip right into their suits like no problem!

Ahhh, the snap of neoprene against your skin as you try to yank the wetsuit up *just a few more inches!* :D

I too, am new to the sport - just bought my own wetsuit a little while ago. For my first suit, I didn't want to break the bank, either, but that had more to do with the simultaneous purchase of BDC, reg and computer. I tried on several brands of suits - I found that the ones sized in actual women's sizes fit better than the ones sized S-M-L, etc.

I am all too familiar with that wiggly dance as you put on your wetsuit - but don't worry - everyone else is pretty much doing that same wiggly dance. :wink:

Ok, I meant to say BCD, not BDC. That's not a new piece of equipment that only I have had the privilege to use. :D

Tried to edit my message - didn't work.

I was in the same 'boat' as you late last summer when I got my OW - I am currently 6'6" tall and weigh 350 lbs (54" waist). Over the year an a half prior to OW - I had lost 80 lbs - and I still have a ways to go (I have stayed pretty steady at that weight for the past 5 months - but now I am back on a lo-carb diet and losing again).

I didn't fit into anything I could find 'off the shelf' and didn't want to spring for a custom suit until I reach my goal weight (250 lbs). Then - on the web - I found the Akona brand. They make women's (up to 15/16) and men's suits (up to 5X). Do they fit as well as a custom suit - no - but for the price - they are the way to go if you plan to lose weight and change sizes. I now own a 3MM shorty ($69.95) and a 6.5 MM Farmer John ($139.95). These are the only two exposure suits I plan to purchase until I reach my goal.

Divers Discount and Leisure Pro both carry them (you can order a couple of different sizes and only keep the one that fits best) - also try this site:

http://www.diveus.com

They had the best prices I have seen on Akona recently:

Women's 3MM shorty $54.95
Women's 3MM full $83.95

Good luck!!

Get a dive skin to wear under the suit. My husband and I both use them and our wetsuits slip right on with much less effort.

Dive Skin - much better than pantyhose, and you don't feel "silly" on the dive boat!

Turn the wet suit in-side-out all the way to ankles and wrists. Get them situated correctly, and roll the rest of the way up. Works like a charm, with minimal tugging.

Happy Diving!

Scuba-sass :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom