Need local dive spots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

karmstrong

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to the board and a new diver. I am in Oklahoma and am looking for local area dive locations, that are within 5-6 hours from my home. Currently we are diving in the following if you have any locations that are worth trying please list them and if you have a link I would love to check it out.

We are currently diving at
Beaver Lake
Oranogo
Ten Killer
Table Rock

Planning a trip to Bonaire in June, so I want plenty of dives under my belt before I hit the big water!!

hey, I live in oklahoma around the stillwater area and was wondering a few things that you might be able to answer. Where did you get certified, what lds do you use and are is there a shop that is dir friendly. Thanks for any help that you might give.

My husband and I got our cert through Dive Site in Tulsa, we are SSI certified. The rest of our family and friends are certified PADI, and I do not believe there is a local rep for them any more. There are some shops in OKC that may be closer for you. We have not really tied ourselves to our local shop we have visited several in other states, and will probably end up using the one that serves us the best. We have a group of close friends and family that dive somewhere around 20 of us that are very active, and love to dive! Im sorry I am still learning the lingo and I do not know what "DIR" refers to.

I am going to assume you live in the Tulsa area? I just moved from Joplin, Mo., lived there for about 10 years and know of lots of diving in that area. I also know of a couple of people in the Tulsa area.

Bull Shoals
Taneycomo
Swepco- not much to see, but always warm water
Norfork

Give me a few, and I am sure I can think of some more sights.

where is swepco?

Yes, Tulsa metro is correct!
Thanks I never thought of Taneycomo, I have heard of Norfok but not been there yet, as well as Bull Shoals and Bon Terre, hopefully we will visit them in spring. I have not heard of Swebco where is that located if you have a url please send.

Swepco is located outside of Gentry, Ar. it is actually the cooling lake for an electricty plant. The colder it is outside the warmer the water is, since they have to generate more power. The water is almost always in the mid 70's, visibility varies from 5 to 20ft. Depth, I think the deepest I have found is about 30ft, it's suppose to be quite a bit deeper further out, though.

Here is one of my contacts in Tulsa, he is a great guy and can probably tell you some good spots around the area to dive. Mark audiodoc@aol.com ,tell him Chris that use to be with Calypso to you to get in touch with him. He's a real nice guy.

is probably a bit closer to the OKC area than some of the others on your list.

I have done a couple of dives there. I believe most folks dive it down by the dam area. Vis can range from 2' to 15' depending. It is right off I-35 down by Ardmore and Marietta. The water is pretty cool as it is spring fed. Also, the cooler water allows transplanted walleye to habitate the lake. I didn't know there were walleye in there until I saw one dart right in front of my mask. at first I though I was seeing things, but they're in there. It might be worth looking into if your really jonesin' for some new water to dive. Have fun and if you dive it, give us a trip report. :)

karmstrong:
I am still learning the lingo and I do not know what "DIR" refers to.

DIR referrs to a way to rig your equipment, it use to be considered tech only, but is starting to work it's way over in the to rec realm. It's not a bad thing, it takes a little time to get use to.

I thought you made a refrence to Bonn Terre to somewhere in one of your posts, but can't find it right now. From what I have been told from some of my diver's I wouldn't make the trip just for that. It's on the expensive side, and you can't go dive where you want to in it, there are "trails" that you have to stay along.

Thanks for the tip on Bon Terre yes we were waning to visit there. Thanks for the contact I have visited Callypso in Joplin a lady named Valerie showed me around..That is a nice shop the best one I have been in yet as far as size, clean, and lots of items in stock plus there pool lookedgreat! Thanks for the tips!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom