Need Opinions On Brand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am currently doing my homework to try and find out which regulator will suit me best. I will be do a fair amount of dives in the next couple of months and will go into rescue as well. I am going through the process of buying a new reg and need some opinions. I am stuck between the Aqua Lung Legend LX and the new Sherwood SR1.

Basiclly I NEED OPINIONS!!! They seem to have the same specifications and really go hand in hand, but I have heard over and over to go with the aqua lung but I can get a pretty good discount on sherwood.

What do you guys think? Has anyone used both of those?

Appreciate all of your opinions!

Although I have not tried the SR1 yet (but have heard good things about it) my first regulator was a Sherwood Oasis II. Loved it (still have it to use for pool work). I also tried a new Oasis a couple of weeks ago and really liked how it breathed.

I don't think you could go wrong with a Sherwood product, nothing against the Aqua Lung but I have never used any of their products so I can't comment on them.

Oh and I will be doing mostly all warm water dives.. can't see myself being thrown into 50 degree water and below..

I have for many years been a fan of the older Sherwood regs--Oasis, Blizzard, etc. They are the utmost in simplicity and reliability. That said, given the choices you name, I would take the Legend, which has fairly long standing track record. The SR1 may prove to be a great reg, but, until it establishes a reliability record, I would let someone else do the beta testing.

I have only heard good things about the SR1.

Contact the company and ask them about their gear. I am considerig the Zeagle Flathead VI and had some questions. I got on the phone with one of their engineers and he explainded a ton of information to me; piston v. diaphragm, sealed v. unsealed, cold water v. warm water diving, etc...

Again, he was an engineer so wasn't trying to sell me anything. He didn't suggest that I look at other people's product either though. Similar to Tobin at DSS for BP / Wing BC's, this guy at Zeagle asked me questions about my diving and then explained which of their product might be best based on what I told him. He actually suggested that I consider a lesser expensive reg in their line.

Anyway, my point is to try to get someone on the phone. Of course you will have to filter out a lot of what these guys say since they are company reps...but you can get some pretty solid info on their products that the "average joe or jane" might not know about or consider.

In addition to that, they might also surprise you by dispelling some common myths out there on what makes a particular reg "better" than another.

Good luck.

Patrick.

I doubt that you can go wrong with either the Aqualung or the Sherwood reg. Both are damn near bulletproof in my opinion. I've never dived either one, but I've rebuilt many of both brands and you'd be amazed at the beating they take and still keep on tickin'.

I have a Zeagle and intend to get another when the mood strikes me.

I work at a dive shop as a tech. and have a lot of reg's I use. I have a Apek's Black Pearl (ATX200) an Aqualung Legend, and a few Conshelf's . I just picked up the new Sherwood SR1 and I must say it blow's both my Apeks and Legend ( I have allway's thought the legend was a better breathing reg then my Apek's) away. I had no bubble's in my face and never knew the reg was in my mouth. I had to go against an incoming tide and the Sherwood Sr1 was awesome I never knew I had a reg in my mouth. My 1st reg when I got my cert was a Sherwood Brut and I said NEVER EVER will I dive a Sherwood again. But let me tell you they have blown away ALL other makers with this reg.
Hope this helps Ed

The first stage of the Sherwood SR1 seems almost identical to Atomic Aquatics first stage design - anyone know whether they are the same design or different?

Back
Top Bottom