Need recommendations for our summer dive trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jacinta's is located on 5th Av., just north of the main town square between 4th and 6th street.

As far as bottom times, that will greatly depend on dive profile and of course individual air consumption, which as you know varies from person to person; however, I will share with you that my wife and I have put in several 120 minute dives with Sherief leading the way. He is one of the best guides I've ever had the pleasure to meet, one that routinely gets fantastic reviews and comments, so much so that I've heard people praise Aldora, and specifically mention Sherief, for his commitment to customers and expertise, and heard this from folks in random encounters onboard Florida dive boats.

Cheers

Dan G,
Jacinta's is located on 5th Av., just north of the main town square between 4th and 6th street.
Enjoy!

Dan G,
Enjoy!

The link I provided is to Jacinta's website. :)

I'm finishing up my first trip to Cozumel. My wife and I are not very experienced divers. I think we're at around 30-40 dives now. We dove with Scuba Tony and they were great. We were getting about 60 minutes of bottom time per tank which is about as good as my current big breathing will allow (I'm slowly getting better). There were a couple of folks on the boat who would talk a good game but then come back earlier than us but we were never forced up early. The DMs were all great.

The Fiesta Americana has been recently completely remodeled and is now all-inclusive. Looks very nice.

most hotels/resorts and most dive ops will pick up at most piers, with a few exceptions.

Dive with Martin is still a very good choice for a dive op. Low prices and very good DM/Instructors.

We have been staying and diving with Blue Angel Resort/dive op for a dozen years now. Nice property, about a mile south of town, small 22 room hotel with all rooms facing the ocean and pool, free breakfast (maybe on dive days only, but possibly all days, I usually just eat something in the room as neither of us are morning people and barely make it to the boat as it is).

BA offers aluminum 100's as a large tank option, I use them on all dives.

If you don't dive with BA, most dive ops will pick up at their pier. Or if you stay somewhere else, they will pick you up at that pier, as long as it's south of town.

with a group of six, most dive ops will probably put you on your own boat.

I have also heard crime is up, but I was just there for 18 days and personally had no issues or even heard of anything happening while there, and we spend a lot of time running around "in town". I THINK the increase in crime is burglaries and crime on locals not so much on tourists. It has a lot to do with the current political climate on the island. Long story, but basically from what I've heard, the new Mayor is causing a lot of problems.

other dive op reco's:

Aldora - by far, one of the best dive ops on the island, they offer steel 120's
BlueXTSea - boutique diving, good for a group.
Bottom Time Divers - Raul Plates is a GREAT DM/Instructor. Very safety minded and great at finding little things. One man op also good for a group
Tres Pelicanos - very nice wide beam boats. Good DM's & service. Won't pick up at Blue Angel, but will at most other places, I think.

I would imagine most dive ops would provide you with large tanks, either aluminum 100's or steel 120's upon request.

if you have about a 1/2 hour to kill, here's a link to a segment I did for the radio station a couple years ago on finding a dive op on Coz. The information was gathered from a poll we did here on the Scubaboard and interviewing Coz divers ... The Shark Tank radio show: Tips on finding a Dive Operator on Cozumel ...

feel free to PM me if you have any questions ...

Long story, but basically from what I've heard, the new Mayor is causing a lot of problems.

Thank you for the recommendation.

Just a small correction it's not the new Mayor causing a lot of problems - it's the new Mayor cleaning up a lot of problems from past administration and members and supporters of past administration causing the New Mayor problems :)

Coincidence that the former Governor is in prison now for fraud and embezzlement and that our previous mayor is under investigation for same? This is not our current Mayor causing these problems - they existed before she was even a candidate - these problems are all on the Federal level - not local level. Blaming Perla for their legal problems would be like blaming the Mayor of Dallas for the Clinton investigations. But they love to use her as a scapegoat and rely on the general publics lack of factual knowledge and ignorance.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom