Need recommendations for our summer dive trip to Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just wanted to share my experience with Aldora. My first dive with them was in October 2015, I had 30 dives under my belt at the time and I was a pretty bad diver, not good on air and now I realize my bouncy was pretty bad. My first dive with them I shared air with the dive master to extend the dive and the dive lasted 58 minutes. Since then I have 76 dives with them and have gotten better. I have always gone down there alone so I am sure it has not been easy getting me on boats with people of the same skill level. Recently most of the time I have been the least skilled diver on the boat, this has helped me improve. Sure there are times when the dive has been a little shorter than normal but without adding all my dive time up they appear to average over 75 minutes since I started diving nitrox. I have dove 5 night dives with them; 71-77-80-88-89 minutes in that order. The 71 minute dive was my first night dive.
They also take you to places many dive shops don't go to on a regular basis. I have dove Maracaibo 3 or 4 times and Punta Sur around 6 times. In March we went to Cantarell and spent 10 minutes just hanging out in one spot watching the eagle rays fly by. Last October one day our first dive of the morning was Punta Sur, we were asked where we wanted to do our second dive and someone suggested Barracuda. They said sure, we did our SI in town but ended up at San Juan due to weather.
Only have experience with 1 other dive op in Cozumel and I was very fresh at the time, I am sure there are several great ops on the island but I do not have a reason to find out.
Not the best quality video but this was at Punta Sur in January:
What an hour plus bottom time? Please tell me more. Thanks so much

Maybe you have that wrong. We don't guaranty night dives on any night someone wants to go. I doubt if Christy and others could do the same. it is just Wednesday and Saturday nights , which ought to give every serious night diver a chance. Other nights we require 4 or more and usually that is not a problem if we know and ask others.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers.
Is it true average dives are 78 minutes?? What if there's an air hog? Any places to stay on the north end that are not all inclusive or time share hounds in the lobby? Something on the ocean side of the island not a tourist trap, we want to relax with a pool. I know we're asking for so much but it's not everyday we got to dive Cozumel...

If my sons can't do the night dive per the dive master. Would it be to crazy to request a night dive solo? If I can't get my sons to dive with me? Maybe I can find someone to go with me. I love the lobster caves and octopuses inking on us

In Cozumel there is always a DM in the water. If an op was willing to take you out solo, you'd have a buddy in the DM.

What's up with rules? Sorry to be a pest but I can only pray we get on a safe boat with an experienced dive master who lays out a perfect dive plan. Who is constantly observing all divers. Not just some arrogant DM. I have had my share of that crap. Feeling you have to tip the DM beforehand the dive to get any attention. I have horror stories but would never name names, They are no longer anyway. We want steel tanks and dive computers for everyone on our boat. I have some old ones but would like to rent some. Do you provide that service? Also if I book a night dive and no other divers will it be canceled. Keeping in mind I know that the costs for a solo diver has to break the bank.

It is not the best you can do that you "pray to get a safe boat with a experienced DM who lays out a perfect dive plan." This is where you do your research, contact ops who meet your minimum criteria of tanks and group size and exchange some emails. Diving in Coz is NOT Russian Roulette. The biggest concern I have when diving in Coz is not the op or DM, but other divers who are unsafe. I would ask why you need a DM who is constantly observing all divers? I am not even sure how that is possible (100% of the time to be watching 100% of the divers?)

Yes, DMs in Coz need to have the experience to select sites that will be appropriate for the group and the conditions of that day. They are also responsible for providing a good briefing that let's everyone know about what to expect regarding the that particular site and the dive plan. That being said, once you are in the water, you need to be responsible for your dive. If you need a DM to remind you to check your air or to keep track of your consumption on your behalf, that's a problem. If you need a DM to tell you when it is time to ascend, that is a problem, as well. You should have an SMB in case you get separated from the group. You need to know the name of your boat and captain. The Captains and DMs in Coz work really hard and the good ones have a lot of information, knowledge and have a good camaraderie between them.

Who is Allison? Does she have steel 120's. And night dives? Fast boats? What kind of motors do you have? Another dive horror was when we were way out in BVI WHEN THIER YAMAHA MOTOR TOOK A DIVE! And not with us. Finally another dive opp showed up and towed us in. After a hour of drifting scared half to death as my daughter was doing her first real dives..

In this day and age, virtually every dive op has a website with all of this info on it. Only a couple are regularly active on SB, Dave (Aldora) and Christie Blue XTC).

So if it's only me I can get a night dive? That's awesome...

Some ops guarantee a night dive on specific nights, but not any night you want it.
Who do you dive with? Any recommendations? Thanks

Who do you dive with? Any recommendations? Thanks

There are lots of great ops on the island. There is a recent thread called "best concierge cozumel dive op" you might find helpful.

Look fors: Does an op have an analyzer on EVERY boat? What are the different departure times? How big are the boats? How do they group divers on each boat? What kind of tanks do they use? (Some concierge style ops use steel and you need to decide if you are comfortable with a steel 100 or 120)

My experience has been that most people call a concierge op a "valet op." They take care of all of your gear with the exception of maybe your neoprene. One op even hangs your suit up for you on a hanger during the SI.

Wow thanks for the information! I used to spend a lot of time in Cozumel before I had my son. It's been a long time so thanks for the much needed an update.
I really appreciate all of the responses. Any places on the North side or is it South? There was a hotel we stayed at maybe the El Cozumeleno?
Something away from the hustle and bustle, a smaller place with an ocean view? And a pier, do most dive operations pick up from that area? On our last trip we had to take a taxi to the marina at about $20 bucks maybe more? Depending on the driver. Again thanks so much.
Sitting at cozumel airport right now. We stayed up north at Coral Princess.no problem. Cost $5. Usd for taxi to town square, dive operator Pepe scuba on site at hotel, so no taxi required to get to boat,walk there from your room about 3 minute walk. Small fast boats , no m ore than 8 on boat, usually 4 or 5 only. Rates were good.

I recently stayed at Scubaclub Cozumel. Nice facility, excellent dive shop, great food - AI or not, and my bar tab was even reasonable.

All joking aside, it was my first time staying there and most everyone else there were on their 10th time there. That's about as good a reco as you're gonna get.

Also, they have seven boats, all their DM's and captains have been with them for years, and the dock is just steps away from your room. Plus, unlimited shore diving sealed the deal for me. I went on a spring break package and it was a terrific deal.

Have fun down there....feeling jealous now.

Since you're traveling with youngish kids, I'll toss out another possibility. Many (most) of the accommodations seemed to be focused on divers primarily. When I was on Coz with my adult daughter we ended up staying way up north at an all-inclusive place, the Melia. We did not make use of most the all-inclusive had to offer, so next time we'll stay further south. BUT the pools, activities, evening shows, etc. would have been ideal for a family with kids. And the drive down to the Caleta was hardly a big deal (15-17min). We could also have taken a taxi to the center and driven with the shop to the Caleta. We dove with Tres Pelicanos and I'd recommend them, but in fairness, I have no experience with the other dive ops (most of whom have their supporters on ScubaBoard.)

Just got back from Cozumel last Saturday. We had a group of 32 and we stayed at Blue Angel. It's the second big group I have taken there. The next time I go I'll stay there again as it's now my go to spot on the island. A number of SB folks like staying there. Reasonable price, great food, and great dive operation.

Since you're traveling with youngish kids, I'll toss out another possibility. Many (most) of the accommodations seemed to be focused on divers primarily. When I was on Coz with my adult daughter we ended up staying way up north at an all-inclusive place, the Melia. We did not make use of most the all-inclusive had to offer, so next time we'll stay further south. BUT the pools, activities, evening shows, etc. would have been ideal for a family with kids. And the drive down to the Caleta was hardly a big deal (15-17min). We could also have taken a taxi to the center and driven with the shop to the Caleta. We dove with Tres Pelicanos and I'd recommend them, but in fairness, I have no experience with the other dive ops (most of whom have their supporters on ScubaBoard.)
Thanks so much for your recommendations. I have seen a few posts about Tres Pelicanos dive shop.
Do they have a location in town? Not a big deal
Can we get steel 120's and Nitrox?
How many can fit on the boat, we will have 4 maybe five divers.
Does everyone have dive computers? Or can we rent them?
Can we rent BC's that will fit the kids?
Very curious about the boats as it seems that all of my dive excursions with family seemed to have that one in a million chance that the boat motor failed and we were adrift until another operation on a afternoon dive rescued us.
I have read a few posts about two motors vs/one large motor? Im not a mechanic but we have seen our share of boat problems. I really appreciate any input.
Thanks so much !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom