Negril change of plans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah we also liked Roatan much more than Negril. It seemed all we saw was sea grass.

Have to admit that we've never been to Roatan, but I would take exception to your characterization of diving in Negril.

I was looking through my pictures from our trip this past December for some Sea Grass. Closest I could get to a green background was this Flying Gurnard nestled in a patch of green.

27aba505-7482-4ec0-86be-67a6f2f52a1e_zpsoewhte3w.jpg

This picture is a much better representation of the structure you'll be diving on.

PICT0576_zpsv66wtc0x.jpg

We've been going there since 2003, and it just keeps getting more and more healthy, with much larger counts and more variety in the fish populations.

I was last there in Jan 2011. We dove Shark Reef a few times, Island Reef, Shallow Plane, Fish pond, etc. That area was pretty much sand and sea grass but I'll go through my Jamaica videos and take a look at it again.

I was last there in Jan 2011. We dove Shark Reef a few times, Island Reef, Shallow Plane, Fish pond, etc. That area was pretty much sand and sea grass but I'll go through my Jamaica videos and take a look at it again.

In December 2015 we dove Turtle Drop, Throne Room, China Reef (that is where the Flying Gurnard was), Coral Gardens, Spade Fish Reef, and Snapper Drop. These dives were with a private dive operation that we had used previously.

This is Throne Room.

2be43322-18e2-4ef2-b358-7c099b52340a_zps7frfghy1.jpg

Were your dives through an on-site dive op? We dove some of your same sites the first time we visited in 2003, and dove with the on-site at that time. If that is the case, it explains the discrepancy between what you experienced and the real diving environment in that area.

I don't recall if they were part of a resort or not. They were Dream Team Divers.

Dave

I dove in Jamaica for years. The water is warm and very clear. Yes, it's been overfished for years but it still has plenty of great stuff to see. The Throne Room is wonderful, Bloody Bay Deep has some great valleys and pinnacles along with an old airplane, The Arches also has an old plane and plenty of swim-throughs with some great corals and the largest moray eels I've ever seen. I almost always see turtles, plenty of rays, and dolphin several times. Yeah, it ain't Cozumel but it sure beat mud lakes in the midwest!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom