Nekton Belize a big disappointment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay...feeling a little bit better from these responses since my husband and I are going on the Pilot in Dec. Can't wait for NC diver to post his report, he's probably enjoying his last day of diving right now! I just hope John thaws our meat in time:D

Oh, should I pack a plunger....:klo:

I am one of the two people that stayed for a second week on the Nekton Pilot. I enjoyed both weeks, though they each had there pros and cons.

Specifically, what were the pros and cons on the second week?

How was the diving? Did the viz get better? How was the Southern Belize itinerary divewise?

What was the water temperature?

Thank you

Hi Nesher.
The second week we dove some different sites than the first, so that was pretty cool. My two favorite sites were Que Brada and Silver Caves. Both great sites with lots of marine life and amazing corals with lots of color. We didn't go to silver caves the first week. I though that viz both weeks was great, except for a couple of sites. Then again, I live in Maine, so just about anything is better than that. Viz was anywhere from 40-100 feet the second week, so yes, better than the first. We did have one storm each week, and for that I was happy to not be on the Agressor or the Sun dancer. They were rockin' and rollin'. Us, not so much. Water temp was 80-82. I dove in a bathing-suit both weeks......well, minus one dive...... ;D Oh yes, so the second week seemed to go pretty slow for me, but I think that was due to a much smaller crowd. It seemed to be a lot more laid back the second week, with the crew more relaxed as well. We also seemed to have a lot more crew interaction the second week as well. The toilet was a slight downside, though it was very quickly fixed. Thank you Don and Bryce. So yeah, all in all, if I could have stayed a third week, I would have. My budget is still screaming from the second, so that was not possible. Hope this helps.
Nicole

Dont forget to get wet!

Hooray for the 100th dive!! LOL.......for those of you who were there.......you know you're laughing too! :moon:

We did a back-to-back on the Nekton this past summer and like you, are totally glad we blew up the budget and did it. There's nothing like 2 solid weeks on a boat diving your guts out. :D

Glad to know that things are back to normal on the Pilot in Belize and that the first week was just a crappy "first week itinerary" trip. Now we'll have to definitely consider doing Belize in April 2009 on the Pilot before she leaves Belize forever.

Your right DiveMaven, there is nothing like two solid weeks of diving. Boy was it hard to come back to the real world though! Part of my head and heart are still very much in Belize....I see a phone call to Nekton in my future......maybe they are hiring on the PIlot!! :) There is just something about that clear blue water, not to mention the hawks bill turtles. They are just so peaceful and relaxing. :D aahhhhhh. Now I am back in Maine with the COLD COLD weather! How I miss that Caribbean sun. Latah......
Nicole

Nicole:

Thanks for that report. I'll be on the Pilot in Dec 07 ( a few short weeks away) and I wanted to get an update from someone who recently been there.

Glad to know that things are settling down.

Thanks for the good news.

Hello to everyone,

My name is Nelson Riollano and I’m one of the captains for Nekton Diving Cruises. I normally don’t have time and/or regular internet access to be able to read, let alone respond to forums such as this one since. I just happen to be on vacation for another few days before I return to the Rorqual for its inaugural itinerary in Eastern Puerto Rico and St. Croix.

I’d like to say thanks to all of you that I’ve had the pleasure of hosting on the Nekton Rorqual over the 3 years that I’ve spent with the company. In this thread I’ve read many great comments along with issues that are definitely in need of serious attention. Almost everyone in the office and eventually on both boats has or will have read this in the next few days. The initial comments on this thread were sent to both boats for objective review to begin correcting and to prevent this sort of thing from happening again.

I’d like to apologize to those parties involved for not having met their expectations. Those of you that have sailed with me know that I put a great amount of effort in making sure you have not only a great experience but a safe one also.

Captain Ephey’s departure from the Nekton Pilot after 13 years has been difficult for the crew of the Pilot. However, this void has created an opportunity for other captains moving into his position to use their own experience and enthusiasm to make the same or possibly an even better impact on our operation at Nekton Diving Cruises.

As for me, I am having a great time living the dream and look forward to many more wonderful cruises with Nekton in the future. Nekton has plans for Denise and I to move back and forth between the Rorqual and the Pilot to do everything we can to improve our operations.

Nekton is taking everyone’s comments in this thread seriously and we are and will continue to do everything we can, to listen, correct, and improve our operation through your feedback. If anyone would like to email me directly, please contact me at diverio@hotmail.com (my personal email address). I’ll be available for another few days but please be patient if you write me after we start cruising as I normally only have internet access/time on Saturdays to tend to email.

My best regards to everyone.

Nelson Riollano

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom