Neopreme...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

simbrooks:

On a similar note, i only ever say aluminum when after saying aluminium, a shop clerk looks at me as if he doesnt know what i am talking about, most realise, but some will never get it. :wink:

Love that one.. Let's hear from the UK contingent on this one!!

MSilvia:
I was in Texas with my brother once, and a cowboy who overheard us talking asked if we were from Boston. When we told him we were, he explained that his cousin had gone to school there, and asked us to say, "Pahk the cah in Hahvid Yahd."

My brother looked at him deadpan, and replied, "Whattayou Retahdid? Ya can't pahk theah."

Fortunately, he thought it was as funny as we did.

ROTFLMAO!!! My Pop's side of the family is from, and still resides in the New England area. That is funnier than S_it..

this is one for the downunderites among us.

Seen written on a toilet wall in Sydney

New Zealand Sux

written underneath in another hand

Austrailia nil

:wink:

I am from Oregon and no-one who isn't from the PNW can say the state right. It is Or-e-gon not Or-E-gon. It is a soft e not a hard E. The Willamette River and Valley also give people trouble. But the most infuriating part about it is when someone who has never been to the state argues with you on the pronunciation. I swear people must think we are all stupid out here because they use the slowest possible pronuciation when refering to places out here.

sndt1319:
<snippage> ... I swear people must think we are all stupid out here because they use the slowest possible pronuciation when refering to places out here.

Of course, we know nothing of this in So Cal...

Cahuenga (ka-WENGga)
Sepulveda (seh-PULL-vidduh)
La Cienega (la-see-ENigga)
Chataqua (sha-TAKwa)

and my fav -

Desquesene (DU-kane)

Get local, or go home.

K

...that I got from the title of a currently active thread.

It's SCATTER BRAINED, not SCATTERED BRAINED!!!!!! Present tense, not passed (which is different from past)!!!!!! Every time I see that thread in the list of new posts, I want to scream. My head actually hurts when I read it.

Ok, rant over. Thank you, I feel better now...

P.S. No intent to insult the person who started said thread. Even if it was a lame thing to do. None at all.... :wink:

Ok, what is with the pronunciation of these words:
Anti (an-te (English) an-tI (US))
Semi (Se-me (E) Se-mI (US)
Demi (De-me (E and US - good)
Hemi (He-me (E and US - good again)
but who put those syllables that way for anti and semi????

Also i keep hearing this on the news - again although it is in common usage, it really is taking things over the top:
Burglarize - to burgle is a verb, in the past tense it is burgled (he, she, they, we, etc)
I understand the need to to "ize" everything to put your own stamp on it as a culture, but seriously it just sounds sooooooooo dumb, you could also just say broke(n) into.

How about "Pymatuning" as in Pennsylvania? The first time I went there I was a little surprised to hear it pronounced "PIE-ma-toon-ing".

Or the nearby town Padanaram........... that's "PAY-dan-AY-ram".

Here are a few more:

Soldier Field NOT Soldiers Field.
Picture NOT pitcher.
Coupon is not pronounced Q-pon.

Please, the s is silent on Illinois

How about the Mayor of Chicago. Mayor Daley speeches are classic.

simbrooks:
Ok, what is with the pronunciation of these words:
Anti (an-te (English) an-tI (US))

Ante -- Before
Anti -- Against

When I lived in Atlanta I heard folks asking for directions to the Anti-bellum houses. Distinctly prounounced "AntI" when looking for the houses that survived General Sherman's march to the sea. (No, he was not looking for good scuba diving :eyebrow:)

Never gave in to the urge to point them to the Emory campus. (In the late 80s most of the anti (war/nuclear/SDI) protesters who visited Georgia Tech's campus had Emory parking stickers on their cars.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom