Never lose your snorkel and mask again - Snorkelbuoy® PRESS RELEASE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I lost a brand new snorkel once while doing a backroll entry off a boat. My solution was to stop diving with a snorkel.

Never take a snorkel when diving. Then you don't need a snorkelbouy. :wink:

I commend you for your efforts in designing, producing and attempting to market a product whose usage is on a rapidly declining slope.

In the modern abbreviated dive classes there is little provisions for the usage or mastering the use of a snorkel , as noted in the previous posts it is seldom used and in some cases not a component of the diver's equipment.

Apparently the modern late model tube sucking bubble blowers are not trained in the usage of a snorkel .. They dive in in nominal conditions where they jump off a boat, swim around, surface hopefully are close to the boat or some how manage to float back to the security of the boat with out the use of a snorkel . They are the product of modern dive training and are practicing what they were taught.

If I were you I would not be discouraged by the negative of the previous posters.

I would suspect in the casual vacation snorkeler arena there is a limited market for your product.

I recall in 1947 when Bill Barada (LA Co UW Instructor) developed the dry suit ...
It was shunned because if it filled with water you could not swim with it.

I recall when Bradner & Bascom developed the wet suit in 1950 - didn't appear on civilian market until 1953
It was too tight and would restrict breathing said the diving world
(FYI the wet suit was classified during the Korean war 1950 -1953 and was not placed on market until 1953)
~~~~~ gosh! I didn't know that! ~~~~~~

I recall when Bill Walters (LA CO UW Instructor) appeared at the LA Co UW Instructors Assn with his BIU 'At Pac'
It was radical for the times all floatation should be in the front in a vest configuration. Soon the BIU was accepted.

I recall in 1962 a diver was fling the new Red and White divers flag and was struck and injured by a boat.
I was also an LA Co Underwater Instructor and the "Expert Witness" in the first litigation which established the rights of a diver in the water displaying a divers flag. Since that time I have been involved in numerous consultations and litigations regarding the red and white flag of diving
Yet divers, even though required by law or for their own protection refuse to fly the red & white flag

<FYI the divers flag on a snorkel has been around for years.. officially the flag should be 5X4 X 1 stripe

So charge ahead - there is or will be a market for your product- some where ...some day

SDM

This was post was a big waste of my effort and time (and I don't have too much time remaining) and the waste of the reader's time.

I apologize for wasting your time reading it

But maybe some of you received just a small amount of diving education in dive history and now realize that diving didn't begin with you and certainly not PADI as a Super duper diver trainer etc etc informed me that 'There was no diving until PADI was created in 1969.'

I suspect if Barney B. Girden was alive today he would gladly instruct all of you on the value of the usage a snorkel....but Barney has been gone a long time

sdm

Last edited:
With the advent of underwater masks, snorkels, fins, and underwater cameras and guns, swimmers are adventuring on or under the surface in greatly increasing numbers, actively engaging in exploration, photographing and hunting to name but a few aquatic activities.

Many of these swimmers are woefully lacking in adequate aquatic training and are constantly subject to the dangers of currents, undertows, rocks, surf conditions and the like, and more particularly lack the ability to judge their fatigue limits and other demands of the human body in water.

In addition to the normal dangers facing the swimmer, the tremendous increase in motorboating and water skiing sports performed in the same areas used by the swimmer, has added desperate and increasing hazards to the swimmers sport. More and more swirmners are being injured or shockingly mangled each year by impact with surface vessels or water skis.

At present conventional devices are entirely inadequate in warning the pilot of a motorboat of the proximity or presence of a swimmer low against the surface of the water, and a swimmer underwater is completely without any protection whatsoever from the danger of being hit by a passing, fast traveling motor boat or even a person being pulled by the boat when water skiing. To overcome these hazards the swimmer, besides resorting to his ability as a swimmer, has been compelled to utilize inflatable and buoyant surfboards for support, as well as divers flags.

It has been found that these conventional devices are limited in their usefulness as a warning device since the surfboard must be held by the hands, thus limiting propulsion and direction to the feet. These devices, where a divers flag is provided, are ineffective since anchorage is generally insufficient for the task and the swimmer is without any means for directing him back to the device when surfacing after a dive. Such devices further lack good visibility and provide no means for relieving fatigue or assisting the swimmer in returning to safety. Further, the conventional device is generally devoid of any means for carrying the swimmers equipment, his specimens, catch or the like, which will materially assist him in relieving fatigue upon his return after a tiring expedition

You can read more on Barney B.Girden @
Google

So I read your post @dead dog how is it relevant to the discussion.
That little buoy thingy won't help you float it would barely support a lb
I agree their are a lot of amateur snorkelers who don't know what their doing but this community is for amateurs who want to improve their skills not be dependent on gimmicky crap

Maybe it makes more sense to you now since he was merely quoting Barney Girden who was referenced by Sam Miller in the post above it.

Yes but how is the quote relevant to the discussion it has nothing to do with the snorkel bouy

Some related on-topic discussion is generally allowed everywhere except A&I and maybe the Basic forums.

Back
Top Bottom