Never lose your snorkel and mask again - Snorkelbuoy® PRESS RELEASE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
collage_watermark copy.jpg
Snorkelbuoy_01.jpg
snorkelwithsb1_small.jpg
Snorkelbuoy_05.jpg
Snorkelbuoy_04.jpg

I'll give you credit for your effort in creating a product. For vacation snorkelers it seems like a good fit. For freedivers, I don't know. It will certainly increase drag and depending on how buoyant it is it could be detrimental to performance.

For scuba, no way. If my mask came off, I don't want it going to the surface. I hope that it lands just below me where I can retrieve it and put it back on. This also presents a safety issue if you have a novice diver breaking ascent protocol to chase their mask to the surface.

Nevertheless, I'd be trying to sell these things to resorts and beach shops where you have a lot of snorkelers that hang on the surface and don't dive down. Probably more novel than anything, but people are always willing to be separated from their money. Pitch the resorts and shops and offer to print their name on it if they buy a certain amount. If nothing else it would be an advertising investment for the resorts and shops.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Now, wait a second, folks. Maybe the designer is onto something. Think of the diver that is particularly 'hard headed', or the diver that might described as 'dense' - IOW, someone whose head is quite negatively buoyant. This little additional bit of positive buoyancy on the snorkel might be just the ticket to keep that diver from ending up in too much of a 'head down' trim. :)

OK, on a serious note, I tend to agree with dumpster's comment. On one hand, I think I understand the impetus for the product - the gear item that I most often find on the bottom of our local quarry is a snorkel - there is usually a collection of them at the entrance gate after a busy weekend. So, maybe the designer was thinking that putting a float on the snorkel would diminish the number of lost snorkels. But, I don't think the solution to the problem was 'optimal'

on a serious note, I tend to agree with dumpster's comment. On one hand, I think I understand the impetus for the product - the gear item that I most often find on the bottom of our local quarry is a snorkel - there is usually a collection of them at the entrance gate after a busy weekend.
I've lost two snorkels so far in my diving career. The first detached from my mask strap as I did a giant stride off a boat on a wall with no hard bottom at rec depths. I could see it slowly spiraling down below me, but I'd be darned if I could catch it. When the second got loose from my mask strap, I managed to catch it and stuffed it under my harness to keep it from disappearing until I was at the surface again. I was wrong. It might still be lying on the bottom somewhere on one of my regular sites, but given the currents around here I doubt it does. If it's lucky, it's got company with my dome port neoprene cover, but I wouldn't bet my savings on that.

These days I'm not wearing a snorkel on my mask strap, but I carry a roll-up snorkel in my DS thigh pocket. Since it's attached to a bungee loop in my pocket, I don't expect to lose it in the near future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom