new cave diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The first time you go to Florida, make sure you have some good folks to help you, and you might want to view Mark Messersmith's VIDEO on diving Ginnie. The first time I went, I had PerroneFord and chickdiver as mentors, and they were both wonderful to me.

Nimoh,

congrats on Cave 1.

Is your dive count still under 200 as your avatar suggests? If so your input on threads about when to take Technical-orientated courses would be very relevant.

The first time you go to Florida, make sure you have some good folks to help you, and you might want to view Mark Messersmith's VIDEO on diving Ginnie. The first time I went, I had PerroneFord and chickdiver as mentors, and they were both wonderful to me.

I appreciate the advice, and you nailed it. My experience in caves has been limited to one Cavern tour and the Cave 1 class, all in Mexico. So, my experience with high flow in a Cave has been limited to stopping periodically during the dive to see if I could detect it -- not even sure if you would call that flow, let alone high flow.

As such, my dives will be limited to no exploration, and 1/3 of 2/3 gas planning, and will be seeking out some guidance when I get around to it, I will definitely be seeking out some solid team members.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2013 at 01:11 PM ----------

Nimoh,

congrats on Cave 1.

Is your dive count still under 200 as your avatar suggests? If so your input on threads about when to take Technical-orientated courses would be very relevant.

yes, still a little under 200 and will be surpassing that milestone within a few weeks. I am always happy to participate in threads, especially when participants consider me relevant :)

Congrats! You worked hard and earned your new certification!

Congrats. You're headed down the right path. The Mexican caves are awesome: Shallow, dry for a long time (hence all of the formations) and then flooded + warm. The caves in FL are basically limestone & stay wet (hence no formations) but are equally awesome. Hopefully you will have the chance to go back to both many times.

Be safe.

I appreciate the advice, and you nailed it. My experience in caves has been limited to one Cavern tour and the Cave 1 class, all in Mexico. So, my experience with high flow in a Cave has been limited to stopping periodically during the dive to see if I could detect it -- not even sure if you would call that flow, let alone high flow.

As such, my dives will be limited to no exploration, and 1/3 of 2/3 gas planning, and will be seeking out some guidance when I get around to it, I will definitely be seeking out some solid team members.

---------- Post added August 15th, 2013 at 01:11 PM ----------

yes, still a little under 200 and will be surpassing that milestone within a few weeks. I am always happy to participate in threads, especially when participants consider me relevant :)

Come down to FL and dive at Ginnie or at Jackson Blue--you will learn the definition of HIGH FLOW. If you're heading to High Springs, and need a buddy, shoot me a PM.

Good work. Proof that skill does not necessarily mean 1000's of dives.

impressing upon us to expand our situation awareness

So valuable,but so few really do it. There are so many people who have the primary drive of penetration distance,that they have narrowed focus and lose their situational awareness. Learning the cave is so important to your survival.

Come down to FL and dive at Ginnie or at Jackson Blue--you will learn the definition of HIGH FLOW. If you're heading to High Springs, and need a buddy, shoot me a PM.

I have been in a low flow cave, and plan to learn what a medium flow cave is before attempting high flow :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom