New Cobalt 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Janie1229

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've had a Cobra 2 for several years. Not a bad computer, but extremely conservative and not intuitive at all -- always had to get the manual out before each dive trip and review at length b/c otherwise it is almost impossible to remember how to program and get to different functions unless you just happen on them by accident. Could not find in the manual how to set nitrox settings. I looked, my husband looked, our friend looked who had the original Cobra, and finally got it figured out, but it was painful. After extensive research, I decided on purchasing the Cobalt 2.

Initially I purchased the Aeris A300 b/c I wanted to go hoseless and more "streamlined" like so many people talk about, but I got home and started researching, didn't like what I read about hoseless AI computers losing their transmission at times. I started to get a small unobtrusive SPG and splitter (no my Aqualung Mikron reg does not have a second high pressure port, couldn't believe it. Purchased in 2008), but then decided there were other aspects of the A300 I wasn't fond of, so I went with the Cobalt 2.

Will be diving in Cayman Brac next week for the first time with it. So far I love how incredibly intuitive it is, I'll bring the manual with me just b/c I'm used to it, but there really is no need.

At some point down the road I may get a wrist computer, but I don't think it'll be the A300. Honestly, having that hose really doesn't bother me, it's not in the way -- what I DO find irritating sometimes is my Octo and the long hose, even clipped in. Not a biggie, I've been diving since 1999 with all these hoses and I keep everything clipped & tucked. But if I want to get rid of a hose, it will be the Octo and get an Atomic SSI.

There is so much information here on the forum, and you can find negatives on almost every piece of gear out there, so after a while of reading, you take what you need, leave the rest, and make a decision that is informed. I think in the end it comes down to personal choice. And for me, it was the Cobalt 2. :)

Janie,

Thanks, as the original designers/ developers of the Cobalt, your post made our day. Our desire was to develop a dive computer that had sophisticated recreational functions but was super easy to use, where an ordinary diver could understand how to set it up and use it in a few minutes- without needing cheat sheets, special classes, or a manual, and even if they haven't used it for a while.

Hope you have a great trip, and post here or feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Ron

Thanks Ron. It gets a bit overwhelming reading all the posts on different computers. Everybody has an opinion, and you have to sift through the comments, consider the source, and ultimately form your own opinion. I had intended originally on getting the Cobalt 2, and was swayed by my husband and friend admiring the A300 in the dive shop. I did think it would be cool to have a wrist mount. Maybe I will someday, but for now I will stick with the Cobalt unless there are issues. Really hope not! Have not been in the pool or diving with it yet, but we leave for Cayman Brac this Friday. I will say that I never had any issues with the Cobra malfunctioning or having any issues, it was a good computer, once you spent an afternoon re-reading the manual prior to a dive trip lol.

The current firmware version is 2.26. If you just got yours and it was just built that is probably what it shipped with. If not, updating the firmware is very easy, see Atomic Aquatics Cobalt Software. It's just like copying a file to a thumb drive.

Ron

Do you know what issues it takes care of ?

There are a number of tweaks and fixes, mostly timing related. What changed precisely depends on which firmware version you started with. One was an issue where entering the water with the Cobalt in sleep mode could result in the dive log recording a zero start pressure for the dive. The most serious bug fixed since first release was a rare situation where if the timing of several events was just right, it could result in a part of the display that was changing rapidly- such as a safety stop countdown timer- not updating as it should. Cobalt 2 users should definitely update to the latest version.

Ron

How do I know if my computer has the latest 2.26 firmware?

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 07:00 AM ----------

Just looked at my settings, I have version 2.12

How do I know if my computer has the latest 2.26 firmware?

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 07:00 AM ----------

Just looked at my settings, I have version 2.12

You figured it out- it's Main Menu→Settings→ System Info. To update the firmware:

First, download the firmware file from Atomic’s website, unzip it, and put it on your Mac or PC- any computer that uses USB.
1) Connect the Cobalt to the PC with the USB cable and adapter (make sure it is plugged into the Cobalt using the USB side of the adapter).
2) Press and hold both the SELECT and BACK buttons for 11 seconds- the Cobalt should go dark.
3) You should se an icon or disk representation on your PC/ Mac that says BOOTLOADER. Exactly what you see will depend on your operating system. It will look just like a USB thumb drive or an SD card does on you system.
4) The firmware file should be called (for this current version) Cobalt2_226_User.S19. Don't try to open this- it won't run on your desktop system, only on the Cobalt. Drag or copy this firmware file onto/ into this BOOTLOADER device. This will start copying the firmware file into the Cobalt. If you are on Windows you can right click and select Send To.
5) You may or may not see a progress bar on you PC/ Mac desktop- it depends on the OS version you are using. But after a couple of minutes, you should see some sort of completed message, or the progress indicator or window will just go away. Don't disconnect while copying is in progress.
6) When it is done, eject the BOOTLOADER device just as you would a thumb drive or SD card- again, exactly what you do or see will depend on your OS. On most systems, the Cobalt will get a message to restart at that point and you will see it come up to the Set Time & Date screen. If that does not happen, just unplug USB from the Cobalt, and reset it manually by pressing and holding the SELECT and BACK buttons for 11 seconds.

If the Cobalt is connected to a USB source, pressing and holding the SELECT and BACK buttons for 11 seconds will put it into boot mode, where it will remain black. In order to restart the firmware, it needs to be disconnected from USB when the buttons are pressed.

Can you let me know the first four digits of your serial number, on the System Info screen? That would tell us when your Cobalt was built.

Ron

Tried downloading at work, still had problems. Called Atomics and talked with Adan. Very helpful, walked me though the download. Got it done, and at the last minute he said "oh what does your atmos pressure say?" I look, and report that it is at 163, and rapidly winding down...down....down....to 0. My temperature is reading 3 degrees F. I live in Columbus Ohio. No it's not that cold here and I have a feeling the atmos pressure should be more than ZERO. Adan says yes that is an issue good thing we checked. ?? Okay, my question is why doesn't Atomic tell the dive shops about this issue? I would think the dive shops should check the computers for this before selling.

Adan says he will FedEx another Cobalt 2 to me for arrival tomorrow (we leave for our trip Friday morning to Cayman Brac). I had to give him my credit card number. Really? Okay....then I called my local dive shop. They pulled out another Cobalt 2, said it seems fine, they downloaded the new firmware 2.26 and checked the numbers. I asked them to put it on a tank and check it. Honestly, I would prefer if they'd jump in the pool with it, since they have a pool at their shop but I guess that's asking too much. However, they are also going to loan me an Oceanic for the trip as a backup. I guess now I have 2 backups. I'll bring the Cobalt 2 from the dive shop, the one I get via FedEx tomorrow, and the Oceanic. Will send one of the Cobalt's back when I return. I must say, I'm not feeling overly confident about the Cobalt at this point. I know things can happen, nothing is perfect, but.....

So far the customer service at both Atomic and my local dive shop has been excellent. I will report back after my trip. I only wish I had time to jump in the pool at the dive shop before we leave...

---------- Post added September 3rd, 2014 at 07:02 PM ----------

Ron, the serial number on my Cobalt that is now malfunctioning begins with 4813. When I spoke with the guy at Atomic, he said it is an earlier version.

Back
Top Bottom