New Diver and my wife may kill me

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Welcome, @turnpike17! My son and I were at Tenkiller last Saturday and we actually just completed our AOW there the Saturday before that. Last Saturday was probably the best viz I've seen there at about 15'.

Which LDS do you use?

I don't know the secret and I've since given up on trying. It's not her thing and she's not comfortable in the water so I've come to accept that it's probably for the best - better for her to be safe above water than to get into a situation she can't handle underwater.

One possible tip - if you have older children, get one of them into it. My oldest son is my diving partner and since he's unattached, I'm actually the limiting factor in how much diving we do. Even better, he's gainfully employed so he buys his own equipment and pays his own way on dive trips!

Like anything though, there is a downside - the wife expects as much to be spent on non-diving vacations as on dive vacations!

Currently I've picked everything up from Dive Site there in Tulsa. I live on Tenkiller, but work in Tulsa, so its just as convenient during weekeday stops, for weekend needs, I'll use Nautical Adventures up in Cookson, they're only about 15 minutes from the house.

Our only child just turned 1 a few weeks ago, so it'll be a few years before he is diving with me, but it is something I am really looking forward too.

for weekend needs, I'll use Nautical Adventures up in Cookson, they're only about 15 minutes from the house.
Nice! We (my son and I) did all of our training and bought our equipment through Nautical Adventures. Highly recommended shop. From what I've seen, Tim has great prices on equipment as well. We bought our equipment this June while he had a 20% off sale to celebrate 20 years in business and saved tons over even the cheapest prices I could find online.

Regarding your equipment, I'm still a bit of a newbie myself so my opinion shouldn't carry a lot of weight but it looks to me like you did well. We went with a pretty similar setup - Ranger Stiletto & Atomic B2. I grabbed a couple of used Liquivision Lynx computers from here because I like the bright color display and frankly the AI.

We'll likely be down there again on the 30th. Maybe we'll see you around the dive park sometime!

Great choices on all gear. Listen to others, get your wife involved in diving and your family vacations will take a turn for the better forever. Oh how do I ever want a Perdix!

I agree with most except in my case the wife is afraid of deep water. So I'm going to circumvent this by getting my grandson certified next year I hope.

My wife was also afraid of deep water. Turns out what she was actually afraid of was not knowing what was down there. She now loves diving and is no longer afraid of (what is below) deep water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom