New Diver Old gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EHowe

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Just got my padi open water card in the mail today. I was certified back in the 80's when I was about 15 yrs old but never did much with it until I had a water operations class at work that got me interseted in diving again. Back when I was certified the last time my Dad aquired some old regulators that used to belong to the Chicago Fire dept. I have had them sittng in a box ever since & never thought of using them. Just for kicks I looked on eBay & found The same aquamaster DA going for a couple hundred bucks. I thought, would anyone really use this stuff? I found vintage Double hose and VSS . Of course now I want to by my own gear to dive with, but I want to use my double hose as my primary reg. I sent it off to Bryan hoping to upgrade to a Phenox & build the rest of my setup around that. I know I will have to practice some different skills (clearing, lost mouth piece ect.) I am not nessasaraly interested in all "vintage" but I intend to use the regulator because its mine & from all I have read It should be a safe reliable piece of equiptment I can use for years to come. Pictures by EHowe68 - Photobucket

Enjoy! I love my DAAM and I dive with it all the time. In fact, I have had less trouble from my DAAM than what I have from any of my modern regs. They take a little getting used to and if they are not correctly positioned are very hard to breath, so a lot of people talk badly about them, but if you take the time to get used to them, you won't want to dive with anything else.

I sent the Warner to Bryan already, it was the newer of the 2 and looked a little nicer. I split the can open on the Delhi and carefully knocked the dents out of it, polished it up with toothpaste and it looks pretty good. (better than pic anyway). I may try my hand rebuilding it once I see how the other one turns out. I do have a question about backpacks though. I would like to use a rear inflate type bc. I know the positioning is crucial, So I am interested to know what type or brand would work best? Any adsvice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the board and to the wonderful world of vintage diving.
The best current BC on the market for diving with a DH is the Zeagle Express Tech and it needs to be modified before it works well. It's a fairly simple mod but unless it's done, the reg will not perform to its best. I posted a thread on VDH a while back on the ET and the mods I did to it. It's inexpensive, when modified works great with a DH reg, can be easily converted to wingless like most vintage divers prefer to dive and it makes a nice single hose reg as well. It is also very light which makes it a good travel BC. My BC of choice it I must use a modern BC with my DH, otherwise I like the thin contured BPs like the Kameze or Snugpack and no bladder.
I have a lot of regs to choose from, my Pheonix is always my first choice.

Back
Top Bottom