New Diver Paranoia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicmac

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi guys on holiday in the Maldives and just finished my Open Water now on to adventure dives including deep and drift. I have now done 7 dives in 4 days. Everything is going fine except I have I believe an irrational fear of getting DCI.

I have been so tired and my limbs feel heavy I am convincing myself that I have it. I also have felt a bit dizzy underwater and after diving. I have no other symptoms but I'm trying to get passed being consumed with thinking I have it!

Any advice, I'm guessing my fatigue us normal for the amount of diving?

Also, my lips feel a bit funny and my face when I finish a dive, is that because I have had my mask on a lot and maybe hitting to hard on reg?

I'm really enjoying it and progressing well bit I think this is holding me back!

They are making you do to many dives a day and you are just worn out. The PADI standards are 2 dives per day for open water. You are on holiday, sit back and relax. It sounds like they are just all about getting your money and pushing you through as fast as they can. Find another dive shop.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. It's me who was/Is pushing, there is a shark dive I want to do but it requires depth and scooter to do it, so it's not them, they have been great!

I just needed reassurance I'm meant to feel fatigued and a bit light headed and nothing is seriously wrong!

7 dives in 4 days sounds about right to the PADI standards of 2/day. Remember it is something new and you are using muscles you aren't used to, including your facial muscles, as it does sound like you are biting on the mouthpiece. Otherwise fatigued is a possibility depending on fitness level, but light-headed may simply be signs of dehydration. You may just need to hydrate more.

Eat well and keep well hydrated. Perhaps take a rest day and chill out a bit but lay off any alcohol and avoid the sun if possible.

Those standards are for training dives in open water training. Once you're certified, if you want to do 5 dives a day, go for it.

I wouldn't say you have an irrational fear. DCI sucks. Been there. As far as what you're feeling, maybe you're a bit nervous, gripping the regulator too tightly, your mask might be too tight, lots of environmental factors might be impacting you. Follow your computer conservatively, stay hydrated well, get some good sleep, relax between dives, and have fun. The more experience you get, the more relaxed you'll be.

7 dives in 4 days is less than 2 a day to me that is not pushing it and PADI standard is max 3 training dives in a day. As was already said it’s new to you and the mental part may also be playing a roll in being tired. Eat well, drink plenty of water preferably not mixed with alcohol and get out of the sun once in awhile.

Relax. You're on holiday. Trying to push it to learn enough to do a shark dive that requires the use of a scooter may be too much task loading for a new diver. Even if your body isn't exhausted, your mind is clearly trying to tell you to slow down. You will have other opportunities to do shark dives and learn to dive with the scooter. See if anyone will take you out to see some small things - seahorses, search for nudibranchs and blennies. Slow down to "smell the roses". Imagine Bob Marley playing in your ears, telling you to relax. (Ok, now I'M hearing "Don't worry ... about a thing ... cuz every little thing ... gonna be alright"!)

Are you nitrox certified? If not maybe you could get that taken care of there and start breathing a higher percentage of O2 depending on the dive depths with multiple dives may help. But then you ad another element of responsibility to your dives. But I get that way teaching I may do 4 or more shallow dives in a day or spend many hours in a pool and when I get home I am toast typically. Just have fun think happy thoughts....:)

Since you have done all 7 dives with an instructor it would be very unlikely you exceeded any limits. I've noticed students/new divers being really worn out. I think "Hey, I'M the OLD guy. Takes a little while for muscles to adapt to walking around with all that weight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom