New diver - questions and thoughts on BC setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...I live in Hong Kong, and the local dive shops here all aggressively push the recreational ScubaPro and Cressi vest BCs. Hard to get any real advice on alternative setups. It is almost like ScubaPro has close to a monopoly over here.
1. Have you tried Mandarin Divers in Quarry Bay? I don't think they stock any of those two brands.
2. Dive Gear Express has a complete package for US$299.00(FREE air freight included). 25lbs wing, Al plate, single harness with crotch strap, tanks straps etc etc. You won't get anything close at the price in HK.
3. If you want to join a local dive club then you should look up South China Diving Club(BSAC).
4. Never ever pay the listed price. Bargining hard!!!

Good luck and happy shopping.

Last edited:
I have not tried Mandarin in Quarry Bay, will pop over there on Saturday. So far, the LDS around HK (ProDive, Dive Adventures, etc) are all extremely over priced. Even with their "special for you 20% discount", their prices are much higher than anything online.

The DGX setup is inexpensive, but I don't love their wing. Just the think straps in the middle looks like it will shift around a lot.

Thanks for the advice!

The DGX setup is inexpensive, but I don't love their wing. Just the think straps in the middle looks like it will shift around a lot.

DiveRightInScuba's trianta setup is the next one up. Don't know about their shipping, plus the wing -- at least as pictured -- doesn't have tank band slots. Meaning you have to use the STA and carry the extra 2 lbs in your luggage. (On the plus side that might be all the weight you'll need.)

That reminds me, if you zoom in on the middle photo of Hollis wing you'll see a little "tank stabilizer" thing in the middle that helps when you use the wing without STA. I know Hollis and Hog have it, not sure about DGX/Dive Rite wings. Not that it would be hard to DIY -- but I suspect without that the tank will roll try to off the screw heads.

I have not tried Mandarin in Quarry Bay, will pop over there on Saturday. So far, the LDS around HK (ProDive, Dive Adventures, etc) are all extremely over priced. Even with their "special for you 20% discount", their prices are much higher than anything online.

Welcome to Hong Kong.
1. I would add a pair of Cam Strap pads(DR-BC2108 at $1.75 each). My set up(30lbs wing) stay rock solid even diving with a 15L SS tank and a SS plate(cold water diving).
2. The assembly screws are included in the package.
3. You will notice most items in Mandarin Divers are geared towards technical diving. And unlike other operators in HK, the price list is available on line.
4. That DGX package at US$299.00 is a bargain basement price(with free shipment)!!!! And you won't find anyone under-selling it in HK or even come closer.

... I can recommend Dive Rite - the voyager wing and transplate harness rig...

As a user of a comfort harness I recommend the simple webbing harness - I have mine for a specific reason rather than the reasons they are marketed.

+1 from me for Dive Rite recommendation. Well made, reasonably priced, very well thought out gear. Personally, I find the Transplate harness more comfortable than the simple continuous webbing, especially if you have to walk any distance at all. In the water, all work once they're adjusted for you

I'll chip in with my experience. i went from jacket, to zeagle and now i dive with a DIR ZONE wing system. 14 kilos of lift, ss backplate, continuous straps. the only time you need padding on the straps is if i don't wear any exposure suit which is very rare (maybe 1-2 dives ever). plate wise, buy an ebay, gumtree second hand one. it's a lump of steel, just make sure the holes on in line up with the wing. hence i would buy the same brand plate as wing. look at apeks. they have a range of bp and wings now.

BCDs

Bought my BC -

Wound up with an aluminum backplate, continuous webbing, and an Oxycheq 30 pound wing.

Plan to get in the pool next Saturday to get it all adjusted and practice taking off and on, both on the surface and underwater.

Thanks for all the help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom