New divers and buying equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was wondering are Apeks and Aqualung just different brands of the same company - seem to be when I search for size charts. I have no particular reason at this time to prefer Aqualung other than I notice a lot of places using them and they have a good range of bigger sizes.

Apeks is owned by the same people that own Aqualung. However, they are different brands, manufactured in different places, with different product lines.

The fact is the beginners requirements are nearly always different to the more experienced.

I don't believe that is the case in scuba.

The fact is, if two divers are doing an NDL dive within "recreational" limits (i.e. 130'/40m or less), their requirements are the same, even if one diver is brand new and the other has 5000 dives in their log. It's not like, for example, riding motorcycles, where the beginner should probably not be riding a 1000cc (or bigger) sportbike. A "higher performance" regulator or BCD does not impose extra risk on the beginner. If anything, they bring less risk.

The reasons a more experienced diver might have different requirements for their gear are based on them possibly doing different types of diving than a new diver would do. But, that's not the experience level bringing in different requirements. That is different types of diving bringing in different requirements.

I have exclusively dived a back plate and wing BCD since immediately after I completed my Open Water certification. Last month, I bought an integrated BCD to use when I am teaching OW classes. I did so because I felt that I need to be in a BCD that is "like" what my students are wearing, in order to demonstrate skills like weight pocket remove and replace and BCD remove and replace in exactly the same way (or really darn close) that the students would do those skills. I could have modified my BP/W to support demonstrating those skills but then that would have compromised the integrity of my BP/W.

I looked at all the integrated BCDs on the market and found that there was only one that I could see that I felt like I would be willing to use for my own personal diving, outside of class, so I bought that one. I mean, why spend money on something I will ONLY ever use in the pool when I can spend a little more and get something that might actually have a lot more utility? I bought a ScubaPro Hydros Pro. I have now done 2 days in the pool with it and I like it so much that I think it will actually replace my BP/W for all my single tank diving (which actually isn't saying much as I RARELY dive single tank outside of class, but still....).

It is an expensive item. For anyone that can't tolerate the price tag, I personally would suggest getting a BP/W. Again, for me personally, I don't know of any other integrated BCD that I would choose to use over my back plate and wing. There are a couple of other integrated BCDs that are popular among some other tech divers and instructors, but I didn't like them for my intended usage scenarios.

Those giant pockets on the Axiom, wrapping around the diver's sides are one of several reasons I would not even consider that rig. The Hydros has bulky weight pockets, but the Hydros comes with a replacement set of straps that allow you to remove the weight pockets completely and dive the rig with no more clutter on the front and sides of your body than if you were using a BP/W. I found that I needed no weight at all with the Hydros and a steel tank. The weight I need with the Hydros and an AL80 is little enough that it will fit in the trim weight pockets on the back. So, for "fun" dives (i.e. outside of class), I have no use for the waist weight pockets and don't expect to ever use them.

As for what PADI does, well, who cares? I mean, why would you make personal gear choices based on what PADI is doing now or in the future? I can only see that mattering if you are planning to become a PADI divemaster or instructor and you want to buy gear now that you can use later, as a dive professional. In which case, yeah, don't buy a BP/W.

That's just me and my opinions on what works for me, so take it for what it's worth (about what you paid for it). :)

It depends what you mean by beginners. I should maybe have used the term holiday divers who dive infrequently. In the UK I get the impression there are quite a lot of divers like me. They get their OW (18 or 20m) cert as all they want to do is a few dives on holiday and enough in between to keep in practice. I see more experienced regular divers festooned with every bit of kit imaginable, that is not for me. My diving is more an extension of snorkeling. My local club dive to 60m in a cold murky lake with near zero visibility (less than 1 ft). I do appreciate the skill and commitment needed to do this (one died a few years ago, they found his body several days or weeks later stuck in weed) but I can't see the fun in it, you may as well sit in a freezer with the door shut. Once I get my 18m cert I will think about getting certified to 30 or 40m so I can have a BRIEF look at wrecks but I will never spend much time at that depth, it is outside my comfort zone. There are plenty of fish and things to see at less than 15m and I will be happy with that.
I can see the attraction of a back inflate jacket or wing type BCD, but I have learnt on a Jacket with side and back inflate and as these are what most of the holiday hire centres have I want something similar with controls and octo in a similar position. I don't like the integrated weights on Axiom and several BCDs, I prefer the simpler Cressi gravity system but Cressi jackets don't seem to fit me that well. Another BCD I like the look of is the Scubapro Litehawk, particularly if I could swap the pockets for cressi style gravity drop pockets.
Due to serious injuries in 2014 I still have restricted mobility in my legs and arms and put on quite a bit of weight on an already large frame, this gives me extra problems with BCD fitting. Weight is coming down and mobility is improving with exercise buts its a hard slow job.

Here’s my two cents worth. Other than mask, snorkel & fins. My first gear were extreme cheap throw outs from the dive instructor: May West Vest & 72 steel tank with old K valve. But, I found rentals, especially regulators, problematic. So girlfriend, now wife, bought me a Sherwood System that I’ve carried with me since 1981 (with several rebuilds along the way).
I steer folks away from package deals. Yeah, they match and it’s easy. But, are each piece what you really want and at price your happy with?
Nothing I have matches in color or make. I shop for function and price. So, take time and shop. Zen with gear will come.

Last edited:
I have 2 dive clubs about 25 miles away, a dive center (Capernwray) about 35 miles away and I will be having a look at those shortly. However my nearest well stocked dive gear shops are near 100 miles away with traffic congestion. Other than a bit of a struggle with BCD fit I have been happy with dive centre hire gear so far.

It depends what you mean by beginners. I should maybe have used the term holiday divers who dive infrequently. In the UK I get the impression there are quite a lot of divers like me. They get their OW (18 or 20m) cert as all they want to do is a few dives on holiday and enough in between to keep in practice. I see more experienced regular divers festooned with every bit of kit imaginable, that is not for me. My diving is more an extension of snorkeling. My local club dive to 60m in a cold murky lake with near zero visibility (less than 1 ft). I do appreciate the skill and commitment needed to do this (one died a few years ago, they found his body several days or weeks later stuck in weed) but I can't see the fun in it, you may as well sit in a freezer with the door shut. Once I get my 18m cert I will think about getting certified to 30 or 40m so I can have a BRIEF look at wrecks but I will never spend much time at that depth, it is outside my comfort zone. There are plenty of fish and things to see at less than 15m and I will be happy with that.
I can see the attraction of a back inflate jacket or wing type BCD, but I have learnt on a Jacket with side and back inflate and as these are what most of the holiday hire centres have I want something similar with controls and octo in a similar position. I don't like the integrated weights on Axiom and several BCDs, I prefer the simpler Cressi gravity system but Cressi jackets don't seem to fit me that well. Another BCD I like the look of is the Scubapro Litehawk, particularly if I could swap the pockets for cressi style gravity drop pockets.
Due to serious injuries in 2014 I still have restricted mobility in my legs and arms and put on quite a bit of weight on an already large frame, this gives me extra problems with BCD fitting. Weight is coming down and mobility is improving with exercise buts its a hard slow job.
Given your shape (probably similar to what mine was when I started diving - a little more "curved" than it should be) I would suggest looking at either a BP&W or similar as the way the harness sits makes it ideal for people who struggle with jackets. If you are only doing warm water diving then an aluminium plate & small wing (13kg lift) would probably be best. I take my kit with me (steel BP&W) as well as regs etc with me when I go abroad - that way I know the state of the gear and when it was serviced etc.

For clarity - I am 6'3 and slightly "padded" and the BP&W was the best purchase I made. I would also state that you don't necessarily buy a BP&W as a back inflate with a simple harness would work just as well.

I would also state that you don't necessarily buy a BP&W, as a back inflate with a simple harness would work just as well.

Would you categorize the Zeagle Ranger LTD as a back inflate w/simple harness? I am currently using the Ranger LTD (my first BC) and really do like it and also figure that may be my lead-in to getting a BP&W one day as the difference would seem pretty minor in general?

Would you categorize the Zeagle Ranger LTD as a back inflate w/simple harness? I am currently using the Ranger LTD (my first BC) and really do like it and also figure that may be my lead-in to getting a BP&W one day as the difference would seem pretty minor in general?

Back inflate? Yes. Simple harness? No. That is just about the opposite of "simple harness".

This is a simple harness: DGX Ultimate Hogarthian Harness

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom