New divers and buying equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back inflate? Yes. Simple harness? No. That is just about the opposite of "simple harness".

This is a simple harness: DGX Ultimate Hogarthian Harness
Ok, thanks for that link... I guess the previous response just confused me as I thought a BP&W would include a harness similar to what you provided a link to... But maybe I'm just confusing this whole thing. I thought Neil was differentiating between a "Back inflate w/simple harness" and a BP&W. They seem the same to me based on your link. I'm all new to this stuff, so a bit to learn.

You can get a BP/W and still put a "complicated" harness on it.

For example: DGX Custom - Dive Rite TransPlate Singles Package

Hogarthian (i.e. simple) is one continuous piece of webbing, with one waist buckle and that's it. No other buckles that could break. No padding.

Other harnesses add more D-rings, quick-release buckles, and padding. Those things combine to make it "complicated".

Ok, thanks for that link... I guess the previous response just confused me as I thought a BP&W would include a harness similar to what you provided a link to... But maybe I'm just confusing this whole thing. I thought Neil was differentiating between a "Back inflate w/simple harness" and a BP&W. They seem the same to me based on your link. I'm all new to this stuff, so a bit to learn.
The simplest of systems is the backplate & wing with one piece harness as per Stuarts Hogarthian harness link - you simply thread the webbing through your choice of backplate , fit D-rings & buckles in the required positions and fit a wing to suit your needs (doubles, singles, rebreather).
Then there is the Backplate & wing with a "deluxe" harness - this normally adds padding (not required imho unless you fancy hiking with the gear) as well as more D-rings (which can mean that you end up more confused about where you clipped your gear to).
There are also back inflate systems (without the hard backplate) which give similar buoyancy characteristics which come with simple harnesses or deluxe.
Then you get jackets which tend to have bladders all round which can, depending on viewpoint either be great or really bad (depends on if you like the tightly "hugged" feeling when fully inflated).

Anyways, I have been checking Craigslist every few days for gear, and everything seems very high end or very low end- nothing in between.
I'd be very cautious buying gear from CL. You can get good deals, but if you aren't familiar with the gear, who knows what you are going to get. Fins, weights, etc. is one thing, but not sure I'd buy anything more advanced unless it was a smoking deal once I factored in the cost of service.

There is a shop that offers free OW class and certification with purchase of a scuba gear package. Now, I know that I would end up paying for the class one way or the other, but at least this way I can pick each element to fit me and also have the peace of mind that everything is from the same store, with warranties, and I would be learning on gear that I will dive with.
That sounds like it could be a good deal. As long as they aren't inflating the prices to cover the cost of the class, then it's definitely worth a look.

There is a benefit to learning on gear that you are going to use. There's also a benefit to understanding what you want before shelling out a good chunk of change for gear.

Honestly, with a lot of gear it's tough to go wrong. You could spend too much, but as long as you don't buy the cheapest out there, you are probably going to be getting decent gear. Key is that you want to get gear that you can get serviced. Since this shop sells it, most likely they can service it. A couple things to consider:

Regulators: Regardless of the type or brand, you want a balanced regulator set. If diving in cold or silty water, you may want to look at environmental sealing. Avoid the bottom end from just about every brand. No need to shell out $2K for some top of the line models.

BCDs: This could be tough to pick the right one without actually diving. See if they might let you try out different styles. Some like jacket style, some like back inflate, and some like backplate & wing. Unless you are doing tech diving, there isn't really a wrong choice. It's just personal preference.

Computers: You don't need to shell out a ton on a top of the line computer. Pretty much everything out today will do for a recreational diver. Also, since this is an electronic device, it may not last as long as some of the other parts of gear. IMO, more buttons the better. It's tough to navigate single button computers, and I won't own one of those. 2 buttons is better, and 3 even moreso...

Post up some of the components you are considering, and I'm sure someone on here could comment on that particular piece of gear.

Last edited:
The next time I expect dive in open water will be on Madeira in May. Before that if possible I intend to get in some pool practice and if its a warm spring maybe some quarry diving. I have been watching BCDs and Regs on Ebay and have pretty well decided to buy a new package at my LDS. Which items would you choose from the following and why?
Aqualung Pro HD BCD
Mares Prime BCD
Scubapro Lighthawk BCD
Aqualung Core supreme Reg and core Octo
Scubapro MK2 Evo/R195 & 095 Octo

I bought used gear in the beginning and have since upgraded everything but I did get my money back on the used stuff I bought. I got advice in the beginning to make sure I was going to get into the sport before spending a pile of money on gear.
I have seen a lot of beginners buy brand new gear and I have to wonder if they are actually out there diving it. There is that eager new diver impulse purchase for some and then you see a year or two later they are selling it on Craigslist or Facebook because they decided that they didn't enjoy diving as much as they thought they would, especially cold water diving.

Aqualung Core supreme Reg and core Octo
Scubapro MK2 Evo/R195 & 095 Octo

I just bought the aqualung set for myself and have done a few dozen dives with it. I can't say about the other set. My husband has scubapro but a different set - MK21/S560 and R195 octo. We are both very please with our regs

Katiemac. I bought the Aqualung set, nice to hear you like yours, I will be trying mine out in the pool in next few weeks but it will be Madeira in May before I get to use them in deeper sea water.
In reply to post #37, used vs new. I would have been happy to buy good used had I been able to get exactly what I wanted. Unfortunately anything I bid on went to too high a price and I would have had to add a console or some other part. By the time I took into account postage, then servicing and shipping costs it was getting to well over 50% of the price of new and then I would have to find the missing piece. Hiring gear was not a cost effective option either. Typically hire costs £30 per dive, then there is time and fuel to pick up and return the gear and a substantial extra charge to take it off their dive site, which would be the case for most of my dives. One of my sons also dives. he does not have his own gear (except wetsuit) so he might borrow mine at times.

I am a newish diver (diving about a year). Anyway when I first wanted to dive I wanted my own gear. I thought that I should be trained in what I am going to use. As a new diver you want your own stuff. You want to be comfortable with "your" gear. So you go out and buy a "package" from some shop. Please do NOT. I disregarded this advice. I didn't want to rent gear. I wanted my own stuff. I was stupid. I have replaced just about every piece of gear I originally bought. I refused to adhere to advice and rent gear until I found my way. I wasted so much money. I just feel that I should say DO NOT BE LIKE ME!!! Save your money and dive at least a dozen times before you decide to buy gear. The only exception here is a wetsuit. Don't rent a wetsuit someone peed in.

That's a good cautionary tale. I'm an experienced diver so I own my own gear but only did so after I probably logged more than 100 dives. It makes sense for me but for newcomers it's really not worth jumping in to it.

One of the pitfalls of buying your own gear if you're not going to be an avid diver is the cost and time of the upkeep. Here in Los Angeles, for example, you'll need to service your gear yearly (recommended) and that's at least $150/year (more if parts are needed). You'll also have to make two trips to the dive shop (one to drop off, one to pick up) just for that maintenance. And further if you own your own cylinder, you're still going to dive shops for re-fills which is more time and money. That's of course in addition to the purchase cost of that equipment. Therefore, owning gear isn't typically about saving money or time. Its typically about comfort and familiarity for the avid diver.

Just my two cents.

Back
Top Bottom