New Divers Beware: Sketchy dive shop in Cozumel puts profits over safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's an adjective (predicate adjective), not a verb. Mrs. Hanchey (my 9th grade English grammar teacher) would be so proud of me. ;^)

A "sketchy dude" is any older guy who would still wear tie-dyed T shirts.

This thread could be re-titled "Noob diver has tough time equalizing on C dive and gets bloody nose" pretty easily.

I always have some equalizing issues. Antihistimes always do the trick for me. I take some spray and pills in my dive bag in the dry box. If I have problems with the ears, I use 'em and it normally clears things up just fine.

For the bloody nose part, take a handful of sea water and wipe your face off before you get back in the boat. It looks better that way

That's an adjective (predicate adjective), not a verb. Mrs. Hanchey (my 9th grade English grammar teacher) would be so proud of me. ;^)

"that is sketchy, dude" is an example of a descriptive adjective. "that is one sketchy dude" would be an example of a predicate adjective.

I have been trying to come up with an example of using sketchy as a verb without any success, but not willing to concede that it is impossible though :)

Also, I have never been happier to see a thread get hijacked into a totally different direction :)

"that is sketchy, dude" is an example of a descriptive adjective. "that is one sketchy dude" would be an example of a predicate adjective.

I have been trying to come up with an example of using sketchy as a verb without any success, but not willing to concede that it is impossible though :)

Also, I have never been happier to see a thread get hijacked into a totally different direction :)
I disagree. Your sentence "That is one sketchy dude" demonstrates "sketchy" as an attributive (descriptive) adjective, since "sketchy" precedes "dude" and modifies it. In the sentence "That dude is sketchy", "sketchy" is a predicate adjective because it is separated from the noun it modifies by the linking verb "is". See predicative adjective - definition and examples of predicative adjectives in English

I can't come up with way to use "sketchy" as a verb, either.

:D

In the sentence "that is sketchy dude", "sketchy" modifies "that" and not "dude".

In order to make it modify "dude", the sentence would to be changed to something like

That is a sketchy dude
or
That is one sketchy dude

Shepman said:
A "sketchy dude" is any older guy who would still wear tie-dyed T shirts.

This guy is "Sketchy" known to wear tie-dyed T shirts when he smokes weed.:hippy:

Last edited:
In the sentence "that is sketchy dude", "sketchy" modifies "that" and not "dude".

In order to make it modify "dude", the sentence would to be changed to something like

That is a sketchy dude
or
That is one sketchy dude
Or "that dude is sketchy", but whether it modifies the pronoun "that" or the noun "dude", it's a predicate adjective since it follows a linking verb and modifies a noun or pronoun preceding the verb.

How many angels can dance on that pin. anyway?

Why to I heard the sound inhalation and then the Gun saying this while holding his breath:

Or "that dude is sketchy", but whether it modifies the pronoun "that" or the noun "dude", it's a predicate adjective since it follows a linking verb and modifies a noun or pronoun preceding the verb.

I think it was more interesting when I imagined him doing that and saying:

Dude, it ain't sketchy; when you play the album backwards it says Paul is dead.

This former English teacher declares Gordon the winner. Whether an adjective is a predicate adjective or just a plain old adjective depends upon the sentence structure. In this case, the subject of the sentence is "That." An adjective in the predicate of the sentence that describes the subject is a predicate adjective. The sentence pattern in this case is N-LV-ADJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom