New Divers Beware: Sketchy dive shop in Cozumel puts profits over safety

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why to I heard the sound inhalation and then the Gun saying this while holding his breath:

I think it was more interesting when I imagined him doing that and saying:
Turn me on, deadman!

:D

How about: I will sketchy that dude in the tie-dye shirt.
Yeah... they might take back my English degree for that one...

For the wordsmiths here, amused by the adjective "sketchy", I came across this today.

Moley's scrap paper notes from this session are sketchy, with lists of themes mentioned by FDR: "Money Changers", "the good neighbor", "disciplined action".

Taken from The Defining Moment by Jonathon Alter, page 208. Seemed relevant.

For the wordsmiths here, amused by the adjective "sketchy", I came across this today.

Moley's scrap paper notes from this session are sketchy, with lists of themes mentioned by FDR: "Money Changers", "the good neighbor", "disciplined action".

Main clause = Notes are sketchy.

Sentence pattern = N-LV-ADJ

Sketchy is still a predicate adjective/

Who's Moley?

I think we were amused by sketchy being identified as a verb.

Who's Moley?
From Wikipedia: Raymond Charles Moley was a leading New Dealer who became its bitter opponent before the end of the Great Depression. He wrote the majority of Roosevelt's first inaugural address, although he is not credited with penning the famous line, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." He was responsible for FDR's use of the term "the Forgotten Man" in earlier speeches. He claimed credit for inventing the term "New Deal," though its precise provenance remains open to debate. Moley also wrote various pamphlets and articles on the teaching of government. Praising the new president's first moves in March 1933, he concluded that capitalism "was saved in eight days."

From Wikipedia: Raymond Charles Moley was a leading New Dealer who became its bitter opponent before the end of the Great Depression. He wrote the majority of Roosevelt's first inaugural address, although he is not credited with penning the famous line, "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself." He was responsible for FDR's use of the term "the Forgotten Man" in earlier speeches. He claimed credit for inventing the term "New Deal," though its precise provenance remains open to debate. Moley also wrote various pamphlets and articles on the teaching of government. Praising the new president's first moves in March 1933, he concluded that capitalism "was saved in eight days."

So, other than containing the word "sketchy", how is it relevant? I'm not saying that anything posted in here HAS to be relevant, but you said it "seemed relevant". How so?

From Etymology Online:
sketchy
1805, from sketch + -y (1). Colloquial sense of “unsubstantial, imperfect, flimsy” is from 1878. Related: Sketchiness. (Ah! The noun form.)
Sketchy seems to predate Moley by a good bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom