New divers hard finding dive buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A few days ago, I dived back to back boat trips, morning and afternoon. I came with my main dive buddy to the first trip, two moderately deep kelp dives. We were in 7mm wetsuits, diving air, me with my HP120, my buddy his HP100. As we were gearing up on the way out, a drysuit diver with doubles marked for trimix and a pony marked for nitrox asked me about the sites, and then if he could tag along on our dive. I said sure and described our dive plan and we went over signals and contingencies. We had two great dives, 102fsw and 88fsw.

On the afternoon trip, two wrecks, I was a single diver. Most of the boat was an AOW class and instructors. The only others were a M/F couple. I asked if I could tag along on their dives, and they said okay. As they had not dived the sites before, I offered to lead, and proposed a dive plan, discussed turnaround and ascend pressures, etc.

He turned out to be a very experienced diver, her not so much. They spent much of both dives arm in arm. On the second smaller wreck, I just kind of kept them in sight and didn’t really lead, not necessary. As I was approaching NDL diving on air, I signaled I was ready to ascend, she signaled cold, and we finished up. Two more great dives, 90fsw and 75fsw.

Insta-buddy dives from both perspectives, and all good.

I don’t expect to get turned down when I need a buddy, and I don’t turn down the request from another diver. I have actually learned a lot diving with divers who may not have much training and are still learning how to use their equipment. Having been that diver, and not that long ago, I really don’t mind.

This post might be better suited for the "no more insta-buddies" thread, but oh well.

Well, first off i would say that buddies are over rated, but don't listen to me.

Going on actual dive trips with a group has always been the best way for me to meet other divers. You'll find that there is usually a core group of people that go on the trips with the dive shop.

The fact that you say "tag along" suggest that you are not confident in your skills and you may be conveying that to the other divers. Just make sure you are confident. Having your own gear helps to, if you walked up to me with all rental gear, i'd be a little worried.

Working with new divers is something fun, sometimes...other times we just want to have a hassle free dive and how can you really know if someone is capable or not? The worst thing is burning half a tank to help a new diver clear their ears, its happened to me several times.
Tag along is the wrong term. I do have all my gear. Well I was nervous. it was my first dive in a few years.

I love diving with new divers -- particularly those I've met through a class at our store. Come into the our shop and ask around for folks doing dives and you'll find someone to invite you along. Though it does depend on how you approach them.

Some folks will be put off with a comment of "Can I tag along on your dive this weekend" because they are planning a dive already and want to do a particular thing. But if you make the comment "Hey, I'm having trouble finding a buddy, could we get together sometime and do a dive?" You'll find yourself invited out -- maybe not to this weekend, but sometime.
Thanks, I will try that.

A few days ago, I dived back to back boat trips, morning and afternoon. I came with my main dive buddy to the first trip, two moderately deep kelp dives. We were in 7mm wetsuits, diving air, me with my HP120, my buddy his HP100. As we were gearing up on the way out, a drysuit diver with doubles marked for trimix and a pony marked for nitrox asked me about the sites, and then if he could tag along on our dive. I said sure and described our dive plan and we went over signals and contingencies. We had two great dives, 102fsw and 88fsw.

On the afternoon trip, two wrecks, I was a single diver. Most of the boat was an AOW class and instructors. The only others were a M/F couple. I asked if I could tag along on their dives, and they said okay. As they had not dived the sites before, I offered to lead, and proposed a dive plan, discussed turnaround and ascend pressures, etc.

He turned out to be a very experienced diver, her not so much. They spent much of both dives arm in arm. On the second smaller wreck, I just kind of kept them in sight and didn’t really lead, not necessary. As I was approaching NDL diving on air, I signaled I was ready to ascend, she signaled cold, and we finished up. Two more great dives, 90fsw and 75fsw.

Insta-buddy dives from both perspectives, and all good.

I don’t expect to get turned down when I need a buddy, and I don’t turn down the request from another diver. I have actually learned a lot diving with divers who may not have much training and are still learning how to use their equipment. Having been that diver, and not that long ago, I really don’t mind.

This post might be better suited for the "no more insta-buddies" thread, but oh well.
I was able to buddy with two divers this past weekend. They where cool with idea. It was there first time back in the water too. We had a predive briefing, hand signal, remaining air checks,depth time. it was a good first dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom