New divers hard finding dive buddies?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So, Is it a rule of thumb that someone looking for dive buddy is a moron?

I think you are overreacting. I know many of us have had the experience of getting in the water with people whose diving skills aren't what they represented them to be, or whose buddy behavior isn't what we expected at all. Even if such divers are in the minority, it only takes a couple of such experiences before ones enthusiasm for unknown folks on boat dives takes a nose dive.

I actually really feel for folks whose local diving is really all done off boats. I think it must be fairly difficult to find people who are willing to pay for a day on a charter, and dedicate that day to a new diver. Here in Puget Sound, we have so much good, accessible shore diving, that it's not a big deal at all to invite a new diver out. If the dive is short or there are problems during it, well, we'll go back tomorrow!

I agree with trying to join a local club, or even ask around at the LDS, some will do weekly local dives where you can meet other divers, or at least point you towards other people in your situation.

If someone asks me beforehand (e.g. in a dive shop, or anywhere else), I have no problem diving with a new diver.. We all were new at some point, and some people tend to forget that.

If someone were to ask me while my buddy and I are getting kitted up already, I'd be hesitant to throw a wrench into our plans with an unknown stranger...

What's with the doubles and side mount anyway? I'm always diving with an insta-buddy on the boats in the Upper Keys. If they look like they have good sense and know how to rig their gear I'll dive with them. I figure that after 200 dives I should be able to get us back to the boat which is all I have ever worried about. Other than that they had better be able to take care of themself since I wouldn't be much help in an emergency except to share a little air with them so long as I didn't need it.

So, Is it a rule of thumb that someone looking for dive buddy is a moron? I do understand they are out there and they ruin it for the responsible diver.
I don't dive with morons (at least knowingly), but I will dive with strangers under the right circumstances. I see it as an opportunity to expand my circle of friends.

Anyone who's ever gotten into the sport has encountered the issue of growing a pool of fun, reliable, safe dive buddies. We're lucky here in San Diego. There are a lot of friendly experienced divers around. La Jolla Shores is an excellent shore dive that has something to offer newbies and very experienced divers.

Several great friends have started off as insta-buddies. We do lots of things outside of diving, too. That's why I try to keep an open mind about diving with strangers.

When you do meet new dive buddies on a dive site or boat, just don't refer to them as insta-buddies. :D

I have met several dive buddies on here including one that was a great mentor. I've also chatted it up with divers on boats and swapped info, even though I already had a buddy on that particular trip. Then there's trips to the LDS. Again, just talk shop a bit and swap info.

So, Is it a rule of thumb that someone looking for dive buddy is a moron? I do understand they are out there and they ruin it for the responsible diver.

Thanks for all the replies.

Finding a buddy to dive with could easily start here on scuba board, or any other place you can locate people that are going to have the same goals for a dive that you will. I am talking about what you want to see--big fish or nudibranchs ( different buddies for this :) , cruising pace dive or slow with lots of stopping, lobster hunting.shell hunting, photos, spearfishing, general sightseeing whatever, ideally you want a buddy that will enjoy diving plans that you will enjoy.

So when you find one that meshes, you can go on to "agree" on some basics for how you will handle the safety issues. The more you can agree on all the issues, the better dive buddies you will be. I think that if you both agree on some of the basic DIR ideas :
  • like constantly having your buddy in your peripherol vision
  • always knowing about what your buddy's remaining air supply is
  • both keeping track of time and agreeing on the end point
  • if one of you was to go OOA, how it would be handled
..then you will have a buddy you will always want to dive with, and who will become part of your social group as well.

Here in Palm Beach, Fl , it is easy to get buddied up on a dive boat for some very exciting dives. This can also be a great way for you to dive with advanced divers, and to meet new people to dive with. Speaking for myself, I am always happy to have a diver new to the area, new on the boat, dive with myself, Sandra, Bill Mee and our other friends that dive together almost every weekend. We are not DIR Nazis, and as Sandra is a photographer, she can never really be pure DIR, as there is no way a skilled photographer is going to be sufficiently attentive to their buddy....she is what I would call a "dependent buddy" on a 3 man team :) ....dependant not implying lack of skills, but implying that she would be unlikely to see a buddy's problem proactively, before it was really a problem, and to attempt to intercede before the real problem had occurred....this proactive behavior being a DIR buddy trait.... And of course, a new diver we have never seen in the water before, would be initially considered in this manner, and over multiple dives with them, we would soon have a good accord as to what type of buddy they really should be. For recreational dives off of Palm Beach, the diving is so easy most of the time, that this entire process can be extremly fun, without any pressure, and feel extremely non-judgemental to the new diver. If this was to be leading to much bigger dives out here, on deeper wrecks with big current, then the process would still be fun, but more real attention to detail would have to be shared.

Regards,
DanV

What's with the doubles and side mount anyway? I'm always diving with an insta-buddy on the boats in the Upper Keys. If they look like they have good sense and know how to rig their gear I'll dive with them. I figure that after 200 dives I should be able to get us back to the boat which is all I have ever worried about. Other than that they had better be able to take care of themself since I wouldn't be much help in an emergency except to share a little air with them so long as I didn't need it.
No problems with side or doubles. They are several springs in the area and most of the divers in side or doubles are going into caves or caverns. Which I'm not certified. I would mind diving with them on a regular dive.

When you do meet new dive buddies on a dive site or boat, just don't refer to them as insta-buddies. :D

I have met several dive buddies on here including one that was a great mentor. I've also chatted it up with divers on boats and swapped info, even though I already had a buddy on that particular trip. Then there's trips to the LDS. Again, just talk shop a bit and swap info.
lol! I'll remember that!

Dan, Peter and I have GOT to get down to south Florida and go diving with you guys one of these days!

Finding a buddy to dive with could easily start here on scuba board, or any other place you can locate people that are going to have the same goals for a dive that you will. I am talking about what you want to see--big fish or nudibranchs ( different buddies for this :) , cruising pace dive or slow with lots of stopping, lobster hunting.shell hunting, photos, spearfishing, general sightseeing whatever, ideally you want a buddy that will enjoy diving plans that you will enjoy.

So when you find one that meshes, you can go on to "agree" on some basics for how you will handle the safety issues. The more you can agree on all the issues, the better dive buddies you will be. I think that if you both agree on some of the basic DIR ideas :
  • like constantly having your buddy in your peripherol vision
  • always knowing about what your buddy's remaining air supply is
  • both keeping track of time and agreeing on the end point
  • if one of you was to go OOA, how it would be handled
..then you will have a buddy you will always want to dive with, and who will become part of your social group as well.

Here in Palm Beach, Fl , it is easy to get buddied up on a dive boat for some very exciting dives. This can also be a great way for you to dive with advanced divers, and to meet new people to dive with. Speaking for myself, I am always happy to have a diver new to the area, new on the boat, dive with myself, Sandra, Bill Mee and our other friends that dive together almost every weekend. We are not DIR Nazis, and as Sandra is a photographer, she can never really be pure DIR, as there is no way a skilled photographer is going to be sufficiently attentive to their buddy....she is what I would call a "dependent buddy" on a 3 man team :) ....dependant not implying lack of skills, but implying that she would be unlikely to see a buddy's problem proactively, before it was really a problem, and to attempt to intercede before the real problem had occurred....this proactive behavior being a DIR buddy trait.... And of course, a new diver we have never seen in the water before, would be initially considered in this manner, and over multiple dives with them, we would soon have a good accord as to what type of buddy they really should be. For recreational dives off of Palm Beach, the diving is so easy most of the time, that this entire process can be extremly fun, without any pressure, and feel extremely non-judgemental to the new diver. If this was to be leading to much bigger dives out here, on deeper wrecks with big current, then the process would still be fun, but more real attention to detail would have to be shared.

Regards,
DanV

Thank you for ways on finding different types of buddies and not complaining about the ones you have had. I agree on a good set of safety rules and finding problems before they happen. I will have to come down sometime and try out a shore dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom