New Garmin Dive Computer: Descent G1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone speak to the G1 or MK2s buttons when wear drysuit gloves?
I’ve used some neoprene gloves without issue. No idea about dry suit gloves. I’d imagine button pressing would be the same on either. Definitely not as easy as my Perdix simply due to the size.

Also, on the MK2s (not sure if the same is true on the G1), you can scroll through dive screens without pressing buttons. You tap the watch face. So, for single gas mode, apart from starting and ending a dive, I haven’t needed to press buttons. Gas switches would be a different story, though.

I've got the Solar G1 and have used it for several dives. The buttons are easy to push with neoprene gloves. I haven't tried it with drysuit gloves but it should be manageable. The buttons are fairly small but only need to be pressed slightly to activate each function. There is no touch screen so the buttons have to be used to cycle through screens and functions during the dive but it is very easy to do. The monochrome screen is easy to read during the dive and you can customize the layout of the information on your screen.

So far it has been a good fitness/ smartwatch and fits the bill just fine as a non-AI dive computer. Good battery life with the Solar function too and without including the extra battery usage during a dive I am getting about 21-28 days of use between charges.

There is no touch screen so the buttons have to be used to cycle through screens and functions during the dive but it is very easy to do.
Just wanted to clarify. The MK2s is not touchscreen either. However, you can cycle through the dive screens by double tapping the watch.

I was curious, so I checked the G1 manual. It appears you can double tap to cycle on the G1 as well. The attachment is from page 9 of the online manual.

Attachments

• 39E9D743-49EA-415A-A1DC-070E71DEB922.jpeg
    39E9D743-49EA-415A-A1DC-070E71DEB922.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 30
Just wanted to clarify. The MK2s is not touchscreen either. However, you can cycle through the dive screens by double tapping the watch.

I was curious, so I checked the G1 manual. It appears you can double tap to cycle on the G1 as well. The attachment is from page 9 of the online manual.
I stand corrected. I checked the settings in the Garmin App and sure enough the double tap feature shows up and shows enabled on mine. I'm going diving tomorrow and will see if I can check the double tap feature and report back.

I think the MK2S (the MK2 does) has the gesture feature (flip your wrist) to change dive screens.
I’m not so sure that’s an actual feature. I couldn’t find a reference to gestures in the manual or settings. I was, however, able to replicate by setting the double tap sensitivity to high. So, I think it’s more of the watch interpreting a double flick as a double tap when sensitivity is set high. It didn’t seem to work on medium or low.

Can anyone speak to the G1 or MK2s buttons when wear drysuit gloves?
I can operate the buttons on my Mk2i with drysuit gloves, I would expect the other 2 would be similar. However I usually use the tap interface others have mentioned.

I’m not so sure that’s an actual feature. I couldn’t find a reference to gestures in the manual or settings. I was, however, able to replicate by setting the double tap sensitivity to high. So, I think it’s more of the watch interpreting a double flick as a double tap when sensitivity is set high. It didn’t seem to work on medium or low.
Even though documentation is sparse, I do think it is an intentionally included feature specific to the dive watches. As far as I am aware (I've worn every Fenix model from the 5 to the Epix 2), none of the other surface focused watches react to a gesture by switching screens during an activity, they only respond by changing the backlighting .

As a backup computer, if I'm not going to use all the fancy Garmin sports apps, is there any reason not to get something like the Deep6? I guess there's the smart phone features too to consider.

As a backup computer, if I'm not going to use all the fancy Garmin sports apps, is there any reason not to get something like the Deep6? I guess there's the smart phone features too to consider.
The main advantages of the garmin dive computers are the everyday sports watch features, followed by GPS dive log and the Quickfit bands(some models). The Mk2i adds AI. I use all those features on my Mk2i, so I love it.

If you don't plan to take advantage of those features, there are better choices out there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom