new gear in thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waikatoboy

Reaction score
Hey am leaving holland in 4 weeks and not sure wether to buy new gear here or in bangkok on the way through.

Whats the comparison with price?

Is there a good selection?

where?

Here on Phuket an excellent selection.

Regarding the prices, most of the well known brands like Mares, Scubapro etc. have about the same prices all over the world.

But the price you will pay depends on the dealer, and for buying a complete set, you can make a deal. In my experience, you can end up a lot cheaper in Thailand than you would in Holland.

There is a good shop near Emporium off of Sukhumvit, I think around Soi 26 or so, there is also an Oceanic store there but I haven't been there. Also, on the other side of the Sukhumvit there is a pretty good shop near to Soi Cowboy (not actually on that street). Do a web search and ask around, people are very friendly in Thailand. Pick up a copy of Farang Magazine to get oriented.

As a side note, I notice that almost every neoprene suit is made in Thailand, however there isn't too much selection or great price on them there, I would've imagined that they'd all be like 20 bucks down at the Patpong Nightmarket, but they're nowhere to be found!

waikatoboy:
Hey am leaving holland in 4 weeks and not sure wether to buy new gear here or in bangkok on the way through.

Whats the comparison with price?

Is there a good selection?

where?

According to my experience, you can find nearly everything you want in Thailand, if you just go looking for it. Whether the prices are competitive (compared to Holland), I don't know because I have no idea what the prices in Holland are. If you can list what you're looking for and list what it'd cost you in Holland< I can try to find out some prices for you and give you a comparison.

Are you relocating to Thailand or just going on vacation (and to where in Thailand)?

From my experience don't bother getting anything in Bangkok as there is a much greater choice at the resort areas of Phuket, Pattaya or Koh Tao. Some of the shops on Phuket are HUGE, Bangkok really only has a couple of small office type dive shops with limited kit.

I've recently bought virtually everything in Divers Emporium on Koh Tao, nice to get Mares stuff and not be forced upon by the Scubapro empire in Thailand.

buksida:
From my experience don't bother getting anything in Bangkok as there is a much greater choice at the resort areas of Phuket, Pattaya or Koh Tao. Some of the shops on Phuket are HUGE, Bangkok really only has a couple of small office type dive shops with limited kit.

I've recently bought virtually everything in Divers Emporium on Koh Tao, nice to get Mares stuff and not be forced upon by the Scubapro empire in Thailand.

What's on offer in Pattaya is, in my experience, no match for what can be found in Bangkok. I agree that the choice in Phuket/Krabi and Koh Tao/Samui is probably the best, however, I would not discard Bangkok as a possibility. I have bought all of my gear in Bangkok and I am NOT diving with anything Scubapro, except for my fins. You can get all the Mares stuff around here that you want and choice gets even better steadily.

Thats good to hear that its possible to get stuff also outside of bangkok as Im travelling overland from Vietnam and heading down to the Islands and would rather not have to lug all my gear with me.

Am really only looking at a wetsuit but wouldn't mind a 7mm as can get cold everywhere else out side of Asia. wet suit is also about 250 euros.

And 1st and second stage had been looking at the cressi eclipse titanium which is about 250 euro's.

Dont know if that helps?

waikatoboy:
Thats good to hear that its possible to get stuff also outside of bangkok as Im travelling overland from Vietnam and heading down to the Islands and would rather not have to lug all my gear with me.

Am really only looking at a wetsuit but wouldn't mind a 7mm as can get cold everywhere else out side of Asia. wet suit is also about 250 euros.

And 1st and second stage had been looking at the cressi eclipse titanium which is about 250 euro's.

Dont know if that helps?

Wetsuit - 7mm wetsuits do not really sell a lot in Thailand (no wonder with water temps of 30 degrees :05: ). The only brand that I know of being sold as 7mm around here is Camaro Genesis which would probably cost you about EUR 400-450 in Bangkok. Obviously Camaro is not exactly the cheapest brand there is. Don't know what brand you checked the price for.
I personally would not want to buy a 7mm suit while travelling the tropics - basically you'd be lugging that suit around while you travel without having any use for it, because it's just way too thick/warm to wear around here (FYG I don't need any thermal protection for diving the local waters and am okay even for a couple of dives a day without; I am wearing a 1mm Pinnacle Shadow but only for physical protection against jellyfish, corals etc).
Thinner suits (e.g. 3mm) will sell for about EUR 120 - 250, depending on brand.

Regulator - I don't know of any shop in Bangkok that sells Cressi. You'd find them on Phuket though (e.g. at all4diving.com

Since you've not mentioned where exactly in Thailand you plan to go ("Islands" there are many) it's a bit hard to give you good advice. Only thing that I can really recommend is to check prices at home, take the list along, check divestores wherever you go and strike if there is a bargain to be had. Keep in mind your luggage allowance though :)

Blox:
What's on offer in Pattaya is, in my experience, no match for what can be found in Bangkok. I agree that the choice in Phuket/Krabi and Koh Tao/Samui is probably the best, however, I would not discard Bangkok as a possibility. I have bought all of my gear in Bangkok and I am NOT diving with anything Scubapro, except for my fins. You can get all the Mares stuff around here that you want and choice gets even better steadily.

Ok, maybe I was wrong about Pattaya, but I know for sure theres a wider range of kit in the stores on Phuket and Tao.

Maybe I just couldnt find them in Bangers as they were located on the 8th floor of some obscure building in a district that taxi drivers wont take you. :D

You mention cold diving and consider a 7 mm wetsuit. I suppose you're not thinking of getting valves there as well, are you? Just remember, for cooler waters you should definitely have valves with frost protection. The sales people in the stores will tell you they have it, but I don't think so... :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom