new gear in thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh my, "Funkyspelunker" you hit a chord... been a while since anyone mentioned Soi Cowboy. Wow, a dive shop near there? Imagine that! What i would n't give for a night along Soi cowboy.

There used to be a place callled "Larry's ", I believe, off Soumkuvit across from the Queen's Park Hotel. It was both a dive shop and bar/restaurant. Decent prices on dive gear and a KILLER american style hamburger in the restaurant side.

buksida:
Ok, maybe I was wrong about Pattaya, but I know for sure theres a wider range of kit in the stores on Phuket and Tao.

Maybe I just couldnt find them in Bangers as they were located on the 8th floor of some obscure building in a district that taxi drivers wont take you. :D

That Mares shop was in Soi 24, right next to one of the biggest shopping centers/malls (Emporium) but has moved recently. Since I've got pretty much all I need, I could not be bothered to find out where they'd gone. You'r right though - it was a couple of floors up :)

lbdapilot,

There is indeed a DS pretty close to Soi Cowboy - the Bangkok Branch of Dive Supply. It's located in Sukhumvit Soi 23, i.e. definitely bordering Soi Cowboy.

"Larry's Dive" is still there and still running with the same concept

Buy your gear in Thailand. Even if the prices are similar to Holland, you can get 7% tax back at the airport on departure, which would automatically make your purchase 7% cheaper. Make sure to ask the shop to fill out the forms. I bought all my gear in Phuket when I still lived in Malaysia for that reason.

I agree that you should consider the cold N. Atlantic water you dive in at home when ;you buy your regulator. You can get sealed first stages in Thailand (frost protection). I bought a Legend LX Supreme at All 4 Diving in Patong (Phuket); it has a sealed first stage and a lip guard for use in cold water.

Don't bother buying a warm (7 mm) wetsuit in Thailand unless you want to get one custom made. There's a shop in Chalong, on the road to the pier, very near the roundabout if you're looking to do that, although I have no idea if they even carry materials of that thickness. Otherwise little to no thermal protection will work just fine. I generally wear a full-body half-mil neoporene just to keep the jellies off my skin. If I'm chilled after multiple dives, I layer a half-mil Radiator shirt under it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom