new Georgia Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
FYI all, the new Georgia Aquarium opens on (or around) November 24th

It's largest tank is 6 million gallons and the feature big fish are two whale sharks.
(Luke, make sure your camera batteries are charged)

Their website seems to be a little flakey right now (prob due to excess traffic)
but check it out at http://www.georgiaaquarium.org/

They had a live broadcast on the Today Show this morning and it
was the first pics I'd seen of that tank. It's HUGE. I mean really HUGE.

mike_s:
Luke, make sure your camera batteries are charged
Well, unless security is much looser than at the other aquariums I've been to - I'll have to stay dry on the other side of the glass. That means I can carry spares. :05:
Luke

Field Trip!

ScubaLuke:
Well, unless security is much looser than at the other aquariums I've been to - I'll have to stay dry on the other side of the glass. That means I can carry spares. :05:
Luke

I did email them and ask them about diving like you could at Epcot.

They said that right now they are just trying to get opened with regular
operations and to check back later to see if they would offer that
in the future.

I saw that on the news this morning as well. Definately a big aquarium, wouldn't mind going to check it out myself!

For those who are interested, those two whale sharks they are so proud of aren't really meant to be in a tank...a search should pull some threads and a web search should find some information on the relatively shady way they were acquired and the existing data on whale sharks in captivity.

Wow, $20+ a head to get in?!

Their annual pass at least looks reasonable, and would more than pay for itself after the 3rd trip.

For all you cheapskates, my lab's "aquarium" is free of charge and open to personalized tours. We currently have 12 aquaria representing species and/or habitat types from the Gulf of Mexico, Caribbean, California, Indo-Pacific, and Texas. Sometimes we have as much as 150 gallons under glass!

archman:
...Sometimes we have as much as 150 gallons under glass!
What do you charge for a dive in your tanks :D?

Back
Top Bottom