New Halcyon Infinity - Can I Use...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaVideo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have not even had it wet yet, so I am not completely sure just thinking about possibilities. There were many things I liked about the DR Transpac, but several I didn't which kept me from buying. Then there is the Dive Rite TransPlate which really could have been the one, but I didn't like the wing systems. While I was at my LDS trying on the Halcyon Infinity, I decided I really liked it. They gave me a nice discount and the price was right. Now a few days later after some dry runs on my back, I am re-thinking the Cinch system. Actually, not the Cinch itself, but the harness system. I really dislike the way the belts cut across the shoulder/armpit. This may be different in the pool and later diving, so I really am just thinking about what if's.

The question is, can I use a Dive Rite TransPlate Harness with the Halcyon BP/W? Looking at pictures of both plates, it appears to me that they line up pretty close. I'm thinking this would help with the shoulder cut and distribute the weight a little. I have some extra Ti parts in my neck and back that would appreciate the distribution a little.

webbing harnesses are never as comfortable on land, when you are bearing the weight of the scuba kit. They are fine underwater though....and a lot less cluttered.

It's a trade-off.... land comfort versus underwater performance. I buy my kit for use underwater, so I have no hesitation for a webbing harness :)

Do you have your suit on.
Loosen the shoulder straps, tighten the crotch strap so your waist belt is angled slightly down and please go diving first.
Speak to the dive shop again.
Nothing on land is as it is in water.
Thinking is poison.
Possibly the most extreme thing you may wish to do after using it is adding neoprene tubes to the straps, possibly not.

I enjoy my cinch.

I am talking to much again, or is that thinking. The shop must have fitted it for you.

Diving. No thinking.

The Infinity comes with shoulder/harness pads that works great. Did you not fit them, or did they "discount" it from the price? The Infinity is a complete set with pads, cinch, weight pockets and STA.

I have not even had it wet yet, so I am not completely sure just thinking about possibilities. There were many things I liked about the DR Transpac, but several I didn't which kept me from buying. Then there is the Dive Rite TransPlate which really could have been the one, but I didn't like the wing systems. While I was at my LDS trying on the Halcyon Infinity, I decided I really liked it. They gave me a nice discount and the price was right. Now a few days later after some dry runs on my back, I am re-thinking the Cinch system. Actually, not the Cinch itself, but the harness system. I really dislike the way the belts cut across the shoulder/armpit. This may be different in the pool and later diving, so I really am just thinking about what if's.

The question is, can I use a Dive Rite TransPlate Harness with the Halcyon BP/W? Looking at pictures of both plates, it appears to me that they line up pretty close. I'm thinking this would help with the shoulder cut and distribute the weight a little. I have some extra Ti parts in my neck and back that would appreciate the distribution a little.

The plates are close but no cigar. The Cinch system is a sweet system. Don't mess with changing it out yet.

Dive some more with the unit before you consider changing it around. Yes, the Cinch harness (and Hog harness) do go through your shoulder & armpit like that unlike the Dive Rite's harness system which is designed to be used in conjunction with the cross-the-chest strap. BUT when you go into the water, that Cinch system will work just fine. Different ways to skin a cat, that's all.

So, dive with it some more before thinking about switching it out. Also, make sure that you "cinch" the waist belts up. Some people don't tightened the belt enough which gives too much slack in the shoulder straps. Just remember that even when you cinch it up properly, it will feel looser than a Transplate harness.

The Infinity comes with shoulder/harness pads that works great. Did you not fit them, or did they "discount" it from the price? The Infinity is a complete set with pads, cinch, weight pockets and STA.

No, they did not "discount" them off the system. Fitting in the store sans tank and weights went well which is why I purchased. The real fitting will come tomorrow with the store owner/instructor at the pool.

I'm sure it will fit me, that is not the question. It fits everyone doesn't it? I'm more worried about back and neck pain from the rig being on my shoulders only. I have a Titanium disk and fusion in my neck as well as a Ti disk in my lower back.

I moved from a jacket because of the restriction to movement and to lose weight off the hips - especially the integrated weight of the SP Jacket which sits too high. Though I certainly could have just not used it, that would have put a lot of weight right on my hips, forward of my spine.

I actually recommend BP & Harnesses especially for people with Bad Backs. They will actually give you more support. Stand up after gearing up any "A typical BC" and you will find yourself leaning forward while walking around. Meanwhile, once you gear up the BP & Harness you can actually stand up right with no problem because the harness will be laying in the perfect spot and you will have the support of the solid plate as well.

With a properly configured BP & Harness, you will have all the support you need. Let us know how your session goes tonight.

I actually recommend BP & Harnesses especially for people with Bad Backs. They will actually give you more support. Stand up after gearing up any "A typical BC" and you will find yourself leaning forward while walking around. Meanwhile, once you gear up the BP & Harness you can actually stand up right with no problem because the harness will be laying in the perfect spot and you will have the support of the solid plate as well.

With a properly configured BP & Harness, you will have all the support you need. Let us know how your session goes tonight.

Thanks for the info, and that is the reason I chose to make the switch. Moving the weight backwards to be inline with the spine versus forcing me to stoop forward. Stooping, such as when doing the dishes and leaning over a sink, is seriously painful. I can only tolerate it for a few minutes.

My pool session is tomorrow, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks everyone for the help.

I own the Eclipse system and added the Cinch system on. I do not have the padded system but the Halcyon is by far the best I have used. The Diverite is also a nice system but the few that tried bith that i know liked the Halcyon better (Of course in water) But those that use Diverite love it. Only thing I can say is wait till you get it in the water then decide thats when it will do what it's desighned to do.

The whole point of a single piece harness strap system is to give a better fit than the 'modular' style harnesses.

Yes, the padded, quick release style harnesses feel comfy in the store, but unless they fit you perfectly, you will definitely get a better fit out of a single piece of webbing. The infinity goes even further as its easily adjusted and comes with the deluxe padding. Did you not get the padding with your infinity?? It should come with it.

If you dive dry, then then all this isnt as big a deal, but in a wetsuit, it makes a huge issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom