New Heavy Diver Needs Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kmorris283

Registered
Reaction score
I am new to diving and am also over weight. I am 5'9", 300lbs and am a women to make it even harder. I am having a hard time finding a BCD and Wetsuit/Drysuit for my classes.

Other than losing weight (which I am working on) does anyone have suggestions for equipment that might work for me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Northern Diver makes some dandy custom drysuits, and their custom cut cost is equivalent to off the rack prices.
There's about a 2 month wait this time of year though.
You can always still fit into the suit when you loose weight, too.
Backplate (FredT variety) and wings (44lb Northern Diver) will have you in a BC that can be adjusted to fit practically anyone, and you'll shell out about half the price as one of the "designer labels". FredT plates are generally regarded as being better than the inflated priced ones too.

Just do a search for "FredT" and "Northern Diver"

BP & wings should solve the BC problem and you can simply adjust rather than buy new as you shrink. A dry suit might give you more room to shrink without replacing as often. Initially, you could consider doing your OW training dives in the carribean rather than CA to delay the wet or dry suit problem. LDS should be able to conduct classroom and pool sessions and refer you to a warm water shop for OW dives and your first dive vacation. Enjoy

You'll never have to get another bc after you are loose weight. Just re-adjust the webbing. And its a very comfortable too!

Not to ruin your expectations, but it seems to me you might have a very serious problem.

Did you get a doctor's OK?

Really, I've seen overweight people, but not as much as you.

That was kinda rude!

For your information..........

I'm 5'11'' 350+ Pounds
and a successful diver.

Yea, I got a docs clearance before I started diving, and at that time I weighed even more (can you imagine!)

My buddies say I'm like a whale, I'm only graceful in the water
:)

Mark

I might be rude, but a word of warning is never misplaced.

Should I be asked to dive with someone that overweight, I'd say NO, and I'm not the only one with that attitude.

What happens if she has a problem underwater?

I'm a Dive Master, but I doubt I could help her, not enough strength, sorry.

So, K4sdi

What are you doing for environmental protection and a BC?

I sort of agreed with you but figured the instructor would take care of any medical release requirements.

I was a bit heavy when I started diving and the diving was a major factor in a get healthy kick. I knew I had to do something so 80 cu. ft. would last for more than 30 minutes at 30fsw.

Chiara,
I agree, a word of caution is never misplaced. An individual must be aware of his/her health status, either large or small. I know a Master Instructor who is a lot bigger than I am, but his health and body strength match his size. I also know divers smaller than I am whos health and strength are very bad. This call must be made individually between the diver and his/her doctor. And you are also correct in that you have the right to say no to a dive buddy if you feel his/her health standard is below your feeling of safety. In all fairness, you should not count that person by looks alone. Talk to them, look at their logs.
If I was a new student, and you felt that as a divemaster your "strength " was not suffent to help me in an emergency situation, I would be concerned as well.
Tell you what, Ill slim down and you bulk up ok? :)
(said as a joke, please smile?)

AWAP,
For the longest time I have been diving with an old Dacor vest that was WAY too small. ( the sides would flop out like wings when inflated) Last year I finally broke down and got me a backplate and wings. Love them! sooooooo comfortable.
As for air, at the advice of a friend (long time instuctor) I sat on the bottom of a pool and burned up a 100 tank. Just sat there. Doing nothing. I never thought I could be bored diving. But amazingly, since them my air consumption has been half what it was. I dont like the idea of a skin, I usually am pretty comfortable in 70 degree and up water. Below that, I dont dive.

Bob3,
Cool, I just saw they even have a size 6X! But guess what? Its waist size is only 48". In a normal clothing size, thats only a 2X or maybe 3X!!!!!!
Ive been thinking about liquidfit.com skins. Im not sure of the price though.

Me in a westsuit? ughhhhhhh

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom