New Heavy Diver Needs Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too am pretty big. I stand at just over 6'0" tall and weigh more than I care to admit. (Let's just say my "ideal" weight would be 190 lbs!!! OK, OK...I'm DOWN to 250! Sucks being built like a linebacker with boobs! lol.) I ended up buying a man's BCD as I do have good shoulders. Most of the women's BCD's I tried on were too tight on my shoulders, while the men's felt MUCH better. They rode up a little while at surface, but once I went under, the one I got was PERFECT. (It's a Sherwood, not a lot of bells and whistles- but it felt the BEST for me. And I didn't want to go with weight integrated.)

As for wetsuits, I forgot what brand I rented, but it was a men's 4x, and fit me GREAT! (Will be buying one from my LDS as soon as I have the cash flow coming back in!) It's also a farmer john style- so I'll be able to use it when the local lakes warm up a bit too.

Glad to see so many other big gals out there diving and having an active, happy lifestyle! (And I must admit that I'd much rather tow a very bouyant diver than one who sinks!)

Happy, safe diving!

Kristey:D

I can relate to all of the previously mentioned problems associated with being a larger diver:

I'm 5'8"
220 lbs. [down from 240]
19" Neck
49.5" Chest
My Man-boobs are probably a fair B-Cup
39" Waist

In preparation, medically I have had a stress test which I passed with flying colors, actually the test eventually ended in dismay when they couldn't get my heart rate up to the specified target rate. I have had a pulmonary function test (I am an ex-smoker...894 days as of this writing, ergo massive weight gain up from 190 #) and the Technician said that I had one of, if not the largest lung volume of anyone she had ever tested (which in SCUBA relates to Air Sucking Dog Status)

I was prepared mentally and physically to embark into my life with SCUBA, but what I was not ready for, or expecting was the complete lack of proper fitting gear for anyone who does not look like the mannequins displaying the merchandise in the store.

Bouyancy Compensators:

I tried on at least 12 different weight integrated and non-weight integrated vest style BC's. Each one fit well in some places, but not others.

The only BC that fit me completely, the only one that was infinitely adjustable in ALL directions was a backplate and single piece harness system with the attached wings.

Many people on this and other boards tout the advantages of the BP/Wings system, but there is virtually nothing ever mentioned about the infinite adjustablity of the system. If you loose weight, you keep the same system, just readjust the straps, if you gain the weight back (as I have done now twice) you just let it out or buy a new strap if you cut too much off (as I did).

I think that you will be very happy if you choose a Back Plate with single piece harness style of BC, it will fit you forever, and will progress with you as your diving skills grow.

Originally posted by astrl
... I see many references to newbies and experienced divers. What do most people consider is the general deciding factor between a newbie and an experienced diver? ...astrl
Being a newbie myself, I am looking at achieving 100 dives in a variety of locations and AOW before I would consider myself an experienced diver. (I understand that is no where near the proficiency of many on the board who would seem to be exceptional divers.) I base my concept on a remark by one of our Diver Masters. He said that somewhere around 100 dives is where most people really start to feel confident and comfortable in their diving. As I look at my own progress, I think that would seem to be about where I am heading.

On large divers. My instructor is quit large. I would guess 5'5" and about 260. Most of that on her hips and thighs. (I really hope she isn't a member of this board right now.) An excellent diver with a true gift with new divers. She inspires confidence in any of her guppies (an affectionate term for new divers who follow her around) that are a little scared of the new environment. She is also a trained medic. I don't think that her weight keeps her from being extremly good at what she does. (Abeit, she would probably be better if she were thinner.) As she becomes a little older it will become more of a limiting factor.

As for myself. I am overweight, 49 years old and perhaps more importantly, very out of shape. I feel a need to be quite conservative in my diving because of this. I also find that my desire to taking my diving to new vistas is motivating me to get back into shape and have started lifting, watching my diet, etc. I hope it motivates all of us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom