New Heavy Diver Needs Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kudo's to you for a great attitude! Hope you and your son both enjoy the sport. Never know, maybe some day we'll see you underwater!

Mark

BTW,
Just remember only your mind can limit your goals and achievements. Take it from me, a 350+ pounder who got his OW, AOW, and continued on to DM!

Originally posted by kmorris283
I also tried on a OMS IQ (I think thats what it is) but that was almost $900.00 before tax and any extras. I really liked the feel of the OMS but I am worried about the bungies wrapped around the bag and I really did not like the price for something I may not end up using that much.
$900?!?! For an OMS?!?! Good God! :rolleyes:

Check out the Halcyon backplates at www.halycon.net instead. There are several reasons for preferring the halcyon system (you can find them in the archives), but in this case, I think price is the driving factor. Their systems can be had for around $500, vs. the $900 you mentioned.

Online sources for halcyon gear:
www.extreme-exposure.com
www.fifthd.com
www.lloydbaileysscuba.com

Bailey's had the lowest prices last I checked, but the situation may have changed since.

Chiara may be a bit blunt, but she's on point. Diving can look deceptively easy....

Good luck to you.

Hi Kmorris - I am also a diver that is 'larger than the average bear' (6'6", 350 lbs, 54" waist) and I dive the Dive Rite Transpac II. I find it very comfortable in and out of the water - and I got mine for around $500 with the integrated weight pockets. I am also considering LP 104 steel tanks (I'll use them as singles for now - but the Transpac will also accomodate doubles in the future) to get some weight off the belt.

Swimming can be great exercise - and diving has given me more motivation to lose the extra pounds from 'under' the weight belt! I agree with you - that until I do lose some weight I will be unable to tech level diving, but I know my limitations - as does my buddy (who is 5' 11" and about 175 lbs.)

Good luck with your equipment search! Welcome to the board!

Thanks for the info martinjc.

I have been looking at the Transpac, especially because of the price difference between it and the OMS. My problem is finding a LDS that has large sizes in stock to try before you buy.

I also thank you for your encouragement.

OK... I need to make my presence known here... I apologize in advance to those of you who have already heard my story... but, Chiara, you are WAAAAAAAY out of line.

I am a large diver -- about the size of Kmorris. And, for the record, as some of you have heard, I am a dive master candidate ... and I blew the stamina and speed tests away! I scored 18 points out of a possible 20 (12 required to 'pass') I got a perfect score on the 800 yard mask, snorkle and fin swim.

So don't tell me that big people can't be fit to dive!

There are two basic issues related to size and diving that are increased risk factors -- one is aerobic fitness -- the Cooper Institute in Texas has done awesome research to show that a persons size is not a predictor of their level of fitness. So, if a large diver exercises and has good cardio vascular and pulmonary health -- they are likley to be 'in shape' to dive.

The second issue related to size is decompression sickness... greater levels of body fat are linked to greater risks of dcs. However, drinking alcohol, smoking, dehydration, fatugue and age are also risk factors for dcs -- So, should thin people stop diving when they get to a certain age? A fat person, can reduce their risk of dcs by not drinking alcohol, by staying well hydrated, by getting plenty of rest, etc.

Chiara, you stated that you couldn't 'help' someone as big as me in an emergency -- well, I think you are missing the point of rescue skills -- To use your rescue skills effectively on anyone, you need to consider bouyancy and leverage --- brute strength isn't enough -- and if it was -- that would be a good reason why many women could be prevented from advanced diving. If I am rescuing a person, one of the first things I need to do is to establish bouyancy -- well, let me tell you that's a hell of a lot easier with someone with some body fat... Of course, I wouldn't expect you to be able to single handedly lift me out of the water and onto a boat's deck... but could you do that with even the smallest adult?

By the way, I have been diving for 2 years. I have 115 dives logged. It has become common place for me to show up for a boat dive and have the crew raise their eyebrows at me. However, before the end of the first dive, they are all commenting positively on my dive skills and are often asking me to help other divers. I spent last Christmas on a live-aboard -- sometime during the week, every single staff person came up to me and asked me how long I had been diving because they wanted to compliment me on my dive skills. There were people who had never dived with anyone other than their spose and they asked to buddy with me. One family was tired and asked if I would buddy with their teenage son.

Don't even think of telling this 40 year old fat broad that I'm too big to dive!

and KMorris, I'd love to chat with you privately about your diving adventures.

Originally posted by kmorris283
I have been looking at the Transpac, especially because of the price difference between it and the OMS. My problem is finding a LDS that has large sizes in stock to try before you buy.
With a standard backplate system (e.g. Halcyon), there's typically only one size, so no need to try it on. This doesn't apply for people with very short or very long torsos, who may need specialty plates. If you think you might be in that category, others on the board can point you in the right direction (FredT, if I'm not mistaken).

Please, all of you saying I'm just rude, read carefully what I wrote.

I never said an overweight person should never start diving, but that a good medical check is in order.

If the doctor says OK, fine, but please don't ask me to be buddied up with you, that's my legal choice and you could be Jacques-Yves Cousteau in his prime time, I couldn't care less, and anyway he was as lean as they come, ever wonder why?

Chiara, you wrote:

If the doctor says OK, fine, but please don't ask me to be buddied up with you, that's my legal choice and you could be Jacques-Yves Cousteau in his prime time, I couldn't care less, and anyway he was as lean as they come, ever wonder why?

I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to say here, but I still feel the need to respond (I know, perhaps I should have my head examined)

Yes, you have the right to choose any buddy you want or don't want. I am wondering about your selection criteria -- as near as I can figure you would eliminate anyone who you deem to be too fat. From what you have written it seems that your reason for eliminating them would be that you would be unable to help them if they had a 'problem' because they are too big. So, i'm wondering if you would also choose to avoid large, muscular buddies for the same reason. Two hundred and fifty pounds ways the same regardless of how it's packaged. So maybe, you select your buddies by appearance or some kind of personal attractiveness quotient? Well, as you said, it is you right. I'm glad we dive on opposite sides of the globe.

Secondly, I'm not sure what your point is about Jacques Cousteau -- and the fact that he was thin. I think you are trying to say that he was active and lead an exemplary life and therefore was thin -- But, luckily, modern science is beginning to recognize that body size and body composition is a complex thing... a person's size is determined by genetic factors, environmental factors, and medical conditions in addition to diet and exercise.

.... and if you were trying to make a point about lean-ness and appropriateness to dive --- have you considered the typical body composition of marine mammals?

Liz

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom