New intermediate level set-up, please help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why did you select the 10bar housing and not the Olympus?I would love to see some pictures taken with the 9-18mm.
The 10bar seems more robust (metal instead of plastic) and has a deeper depth rating, 45m is kind of a borderline for me.Hopefully I can come up with some shots from Croatia in May:)

I am really curious about the performance of the inon close-up. For land I also have the 1.8/45mm zuiko, which is a wonderful lens. - If I can get it working behind the semidome it will be the perfect macro with close-up lenses.

Last edited:
Sorry I think I was a bit unclear, I will if I buy the OM-D get the port and zoom gear for the 12-50 mm, I just wanted to get an idea how wide the 12 mm will be without a dome (compared to a compact 28mm with a dome). Realize it's a tricky question but just want to get a ball park figure :)

---------- Post added April 14th, 2013 at 12:43 AM ----------
I could not find the information on line. I think the air FOV for this lens at 12 mm is 84 degrees. I know that the Zen dome port with the 9-18 mm (air FOV of 100 degrees) is supposed to give 25% increase in underwater FOV and the same FOV as in the air. I think this means that the Olympus flat port gives about an 80 degree FOV underwater (as a 25% increase in FOV for 80 degrees would be 100 degrees). I suspect that the distance from the front of the lens to the port glass could affect this number. However, I suspect that a reduction of 20% in FOV would be a good estimate and that puts the FOV at about 67 degrees. Thus behind a flat port this lens, which is not truly WA, gives a standard lens field of view in water (the 9-18 has an air FOV of 62 degrees at 18 mm). If you want to get an idea of what difference the dome port versus the flat port makes take a look at the info at Welcome to zenunderwater.com! with respect to the WA100 dome port for the PEN series. I see the 12-50 as giving us a reasonably good underwater macro lens (which can become a true macro lens with a wet lens) and also the ability to shoot medium angle shots at the same time.

I am shooting with the EPL-2 and have used the 9-18 (behind the Zen dome port) and a 14-42 behind the flat port with the SubSee +5 for macro. I can take the wet lens off to shoot medium angle shots. I have just purchased the 60 mm and plan to use it behind the flat port or possibly the dome port for macro when I go to Provo in late May.

Domes are not only about FOV. Edge sharpness/CA get also dramatically improved.
Sorry I think I was a bit unclear, I will if I buy the OM-D get the port and zoom gear for the 12-50 mm, I just wanted to get an idea how wide the 12 mm will be without a dome (compared to a compact 28mm with a dome). Realize it's a tricky question but just want to get a ball park figure :)

Here they are:
I was not sure if a dome port is really necessary, so I went to the pool and made some test shootings with the standard flat port (@ Olympus PT-EP10) and the Zen WA-100, with the 9-18mm wide angle lense. I think the results will be likewise in general with other lense combinations.

9-18mm @ 9mm (flat port):
9-18@9mm_flat.jpg

9-18mm @ 9mm (dome port):
9-18@9mm_dome.jpg

9-18mm @ 14mm (flat port):
9-18@14mm_flat.jpg

9-18mm @ 14mm (dome port):
9-18@14mm_dome.jpg

All photos were shot from exactly the same position!
(ignore the white balance)

Last edited:
I Just pulled the trigger and ordered these for my E-PL5 from Aditech (shipping from Spain):10bar housing with 10bar semidome for 9-18&14-42, incl. zoom+focus gear (HS-DC-Op-EPL5);67mm wet lens adapter for the 10bar semidome (AR-D127-F67);Inon UCL-165 close-up lens.;Archon D32VR video light.Total budget incl camera and lenses, VAT & shipping: 2800USD
Good price! :shocked2:

For my E-PL5 underwater setup consisting of...
PT-EP10 (housing)
PPZR-EP02 (zoom gear for 9-18mm/14-42mm)
POSR-EP05 (anti reflective ring for 14-42mm)
Zen WA-100 (dome port)
Sea&Sea YS-D1 (flash)
Sea&Sea fibre optic cable
Nauticam single handle incl. adapter
carbon strobe arms and clamps
... I payed around 2100,- Euros/2750,- USD (incl. VAT and shipping). And this was without the camera and the lenses.

EarlyDolphin, your price is what I would end up paying here without Cdn taxes and shipping...2700.00 US without the camera which I already have. I also looked at the 10Bar housing but attempting to use the control buttons wearing 7mm or dry gloves fro early and late cold water diving would prove to be an exercise of frustration more than anything else. That's why I am presently leaning toward the Oly housing as a starter and eventually acquire a dome port later on.

Good price! :shocked2:

For my E-PL5 underwater setup consisting of...
PT-EP10 (housing)
PPZR-EP02 (zoom gear for 9-18mm/14-42mm)
POSR-EP05 (anti reflective ring for 14-42mm)
Zen WA-100 (dome port)
Sea&Sea YS-D1 (flash)
Sea&Sea fibre optic cable
Nauticam single handle incl. adapter
carbon strobe arms and clamps
... I payed around 2100,- Euros/2750,- USD (incl. VAT and shipping). And this was without the camera and the lenses.

What I miss from my current setup, are 2 good strobes. My actual idea is either to DIY a housing for my metz AF-50(keeping TTL) and double it or to buy 2 manual underwater strobes. The price of 2 TTL UW stobes is just not for mystomach/wallet.
Good price! :shocked2:For my E-PL5 underwater setup consisting of...PT-EP10 (housing)PPZR-EP02 (zoom gear for 9-18mm/14-42mm)POSR-EP05 (anti reflective ring for 14-42mm)Zen WA-100 (dome port)Sea&Sea YS-D1 (flash)Sea&Sea fibre optic cableNauticam single handle incl. adaptercarbon strobe arms and clamps... I payed around 2100,- Euros/2750,- USD (incl. VAT and shipping). And this was without the camera and the lenses.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom